Camshaft Options

• Sponsors (?)

I get to be the first to say it on this post. The best cam will be a custom grind designed around your combo. If that's not in your budget look for OTS grinds from comp, anderson fms, or trickflow. Nothing too radical or it will be a dog on the street. Or, if you aren't concerned about peak HP numbers, stick with the stock cam and add some 1.7 rockers.

I get to be the first to say it on this post. The best cam will be a custom grind designed around your combo. If that's not in your budget look for OTS grinds from comp, anderson fms, or trickflow. Nothing too radical or it will be a dog on the street. Or, if you aren't concerned about peak HP numbers, stick with the stock cam and add some 1.7 rockers.
I was thinking about getting a trick flow stage 1 I’ve read good things about those cams

I wouldn' run one with an AOD. That came tends to make it's power in the upper RPM range. Unless you plan on driving your AOD around near the rev limiter, you won't like how it feels.

You're gonna want a cam that will favor torque in the low end of the RPM range with a street driven automatic.

A TFS1 is a $270 cam. For $50 more you could go with a custom grind that will fit your mods and car better

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/fti-custom-hydraulic-roller-camshaft-ford-austemper/

I wouldn' run one with an AOD. That came tends to make it's power in the upper RPM range. Unless you plan on driving your AOD around near the rev limiter, you won't like how it feels.

You're gonna want a cam that will favor torque in the low end of the RPM range with a street driven automatic.

A TFS1 is a $270 cam. For $50 more you could go with a custom grind that will fit your mods and car better

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/fti-custom-hydraulic-roller-camshaft-ford-austemper/
Okay so if I do purchase this came I’m assuming upgrade valve springs and what kind of rockers should I run?

Okay so if I do purchase this came I’m assuming upgrade valve springs and what kind of rockers should I run?

Yes, you will need to upgrade the valve springs regardless. 40P heads come with some fairly soft springs. FTI sells springs that will match whatever custom. You can stick with 1.6 roller rockers of your choice because the increased valve opening events can come from the cam profile.

I literally just ordered one myself

I suggest going custom as well. Folks like Ed Curtis will be able to answer these questions for you as well, or at least make his suggestions. However, be aware that he won’t just chat unless you make the purchase. Otherwise he would spend all his time answering questions instead of making cams.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, you will need to upgrade the valve springs regardless. 40P heads come with some fairly soft springs. FTI sells springs that will match whatever custom. You can stick with 1.6 roller rockers of your choice because the increased valve opening events can come from the cam profile.

I literally just ordered one myself
Do I have to get the valve springs from them or can i get another brands? And would recommend upgrading lifters.

Ed will suggest a spring kit that will consist of springs, retainers, seals and locks. Reason being that he likes using smaller diameter LS style valve springs, which require their own retainers and locks. You can source them cheaper outside of him, I did, but it was a pain in the rear to save $30.
Joe

Get a set of trick flow springs and retainers for $200. Will handle more lift than those are good for.

I run a custom comp cam in my setup. No complaints here.

Did you leave the stock lifters in our change them and what about the rockers
For gt40 heads I’d reuse the lifters and rockers if they’re in good shape, which they most likely are.

I may change pushrods, but that’s dependent on the length you need. I’d reuse everything you can. No need to dump a bunch of money into gt40s.

You already have headers? Don’t forget it’s a pain in the ass to find a set of used gt40 headers, unless you want to get kind of creative with your spark plug boots.