Camshaft Question??

My_Little_Pony

Dec 23, 2003
Renton, WA
Well, for my birthday, I am buying myself a little gift. It was either accessories for the Jeep or the Mustang. I am leaning towards the Mustang. I was wondering, has anyone with the 4.6 put in mild cams? and if you have which ones did you go with? I am getting some other engine work done at the same time (or around that time). Any suggestions would be great, thanks in advance!!

• Sponsors (?)

GT2000JAY has a set in his car, they're blower cams as he's planning on going that route soon.

He's the only person locally I know with a Modular 4.6L and cams. I'm eventually heading in the direction, but going to finish my suspension setup first and then get some 4.10 gears.

Speak to Nickthegenius in the 4.6L he has some comp cams and is making some really nice power after a tune. A few other mods but 290rwhp from a still relatively simple mod set is pretty good numbers.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=465206

That post is a good one.

Oh and you have press on sprockets, and those tools (so you don't have to take off your pullies and timing cover) only work for the Romeo engines (96-98, 01-04) with bolt on sprockets.

With that said, doing cams in your car will be a bit more time consuming, make sure you really want those ... and a good set of springs before you go buying them anytime soon.

Personally, I'd invest in a 4v shortblock and over time build that up instead of wasting your time with a meager 2v.

Tylerb59 said:
Oh and you have press on sprockets, and those tools (so you don't have to take off your pullies and timing cover) only work for the Romeo engines (96-98, 01-04) with bolt on sprockets.

With that said, doing cams in your car will be a bit more time consuming, make sure you really want those ... and a good set of springs before you go buying them anytime soon.

Personally, I'd invest in a 4v shortblock and over time build that up instead of wasting your time with a meager 2v.
i have the impression he's going to spend about 1000 bucks max...

don't think there are many 4V for 1000 bucks... people would say build up that AUTO... but I say nay... I'll do it my way

if you do get blower cams, do not expect much gain in the beginning...

cams get thumbs up from me :nice:

Right.

Cams are great, but one thing leads to another and pretty soon you've spent all this money on a somewhat mediocore engine.

You'll have some decent power, sure, but for not much more you can have a LOT more power which would be much more reliable (forged parts) by starting with a 4v shortblock.

Of course the ultimate bling is to buy a ready built crate engine, but where is the fun in that. :)

Tylerb59 said:
Right.

Cams are great, but one thing leads to another and pretty soon you've spent all this money on a somewhat mediocore engine.

You'll have some decent power, sure, but for not much more you can have a LOT more power which would be much more reliable (forged parts) by starting with a 4v shortblock.

Of course the ultimate bling is to buy a ready built crate engine, but where is the fun in that. :)
might sound crazy, but why not get an NX kit instead? i think it'll provide more push for the money...

and who knows, it might be the fastest way to a new 4V block

buey like a 270 something duratino cam with beehive valvesprings
talk to me, I'll either hook you up or install them myslef, I can find cheap portng to go with them cams as well, I got a bunch of work done for like 8 hundred

oheyah, my machinist aint some dumb hick, he's been awarded best mechanic by the NHRA for two years in a row, and Edelbrock used to send him prototype manifolds for racing, he'd port them and say "I like 'em better this way" then edelbrock would sell them that way as the performer, etc.

TheRedBlur said:
oheyah, my machinist aint some dumb hick, he's been awarded best mechanic by the NHRA for two years in a row, and Edelbrock used to send him prototype manifolds for racing, he'd port them and say "I like 'em better this way" then edelbrock would sell them that way as the performer, etc.
so do you think you can install some blower cams for me? i mean you have a 5.0 and all and you guys only have 1 cam... not that that's a bad thing, but us 4.6 guys have 2...

TheRedBlur said:
what shape are those sub frame connectors in? are they weld in's? i might be intrested in them P.M me with the info. would you be able to meet me 1/2 way or something after all i'd spend bout $30 for gas to get to seatle! peace

john