Can a smaller alternator pulley help my idle?

Funanin

Founding Member
Nov 26, 2001
Horsham, Pennsylvania
first of all my car sits because i dont have a license so i only go and start it every couple days but its getting colder out and i have to jump the battery sometimes if i let it go to long. When i do start it, i have to keep my foot on the gas for a while or it will stall out. I dont feel like adjusting the idle again because then it stays to high when the car is running normally. It kinda grunts and all the lights dim and it stalls out. So i figured if i put a smaller alternator pulley on it might help prevent it from stalling out? If anyone has any idea what im talking about feel free to say anything. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

it seems that you have more than enough alternator for you to have charging problems. Only thing i can tell you is to go get teh battery tested at your local auto parts store. If that checks out, take the alternator to get tested. Both are easy to take out and its free, better than throwing money at a prob

I know I'm planning on putting on an overdrive pulley on my 3g alternator...to further my "gains"...

Yep...check your battery/alternator at your local mechanics shop or parts store...

I know ASP makes overdrive pulleys for the fox alternators and the 3g's...they around $20 bucks...also summitracing is a carrier of those ASP's...

If you have a multimeter, you can check the "incoming" charge to the battery. Just put the leads directly on the battery terminals. If your meter is set to the correct range, it should be at least 14 volts (14.6 I think).
Good Luck.

Get a meter and test it.

Anything over 12volts at idle is a charge. ANything less is losing power. If you blip the gas a bit, you should get 13.6+ volts. If that is what is happening and you do not charge at idle, yes you need an overdrive alt pulley.

Keep in mind starting a car and letting it idle every 2 weeks is not a good way to charge the battery. You really need to drive the car.

Every time you deep cycle a battery (kill it) it loses it's ability to hold a charge. If you load tested it, i bet the battery is crap .

DO NOT buy a new battery until you are ready to start driving the car frequently...otherwise the same thing will happen.

ok thanks... the yellow top optima tends to hold a charge for about a week after I let the car run a while then it wont start again. But I mean when i drive the car every day I would think it would be fine... I have one of those boost starter things too so w/e I dont feel like payin another 200 bucks for a battery already.