Can Door Dings be Removed?

mrvax

Stay thirsty my friends
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
SN Moderator: Orlando, Fl.
I have to park each day in a crowded garage. No where to park away from others. Every few months produces a fresh door dent/ding. Paint is OK - just a nice small dent. (One of the reason I won't buy a brand new Stang.)

Is there any way, any gimick out there that really can remove the door dings?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Ive never gotten a gimmik to work on dings. Try the phone book and look for "paintless dent repair" They can do it good and cheap. I had 9 door dings pulled out for $75 :nice:

I think the paintless dent removal guys can "massage/pop" out most dents.

A freind of mine actually had lots of luck getting most of the dings out of his car
(2002 Nissan Sentra) with the hot glue dent removal stuff (PopsADent or something like that).

... I've never tried any of this myself though so I'm just speculating. GL!

Try the phone book and look for "paintless dent repair" They can do it good and cheap.

+1

I had all of the dents removed from my car a couple of years ago (about 35 - 40 dents total). I paid $250 and the guy did a great job and my car continues to be dent free. Just be careful who does it. If they don't do it correctly it can cause the paint to crack. The guy who did my car told me that after a hail storm a few years ago a bunch of body shops started advertising PDR... Well, these body shops did a quick shoddy job which ultimately caused the paint to crack on a lot of the cars in town giving PDR a bad name. Just do your research and ask around about the PDR shops in your town and you should be alright.

Thanks people!
I may try that Dent-King thing. I'd like to do it myself. If I can do it, then I won't have too worry too much the next "beauty" I get.

If those dents some out, my car will look pretty sweet for being 10+ years old/100k+ miles and it's been through quite a few nasty winters. It has never seen the inside of a garage.

I got estimates for my 88 mustang at one time and saw the process. They simply use various shapes of tools behind the panels to push the dent out. For example, they'll remove the door panel and push the dents out from behind. The trick is knowing which tool is shaped just right for the job and doing it right. ;)

i have a 99 explorer with 223000 miles on it to keep the miles and dents off my stang, so no big deal if it gets a dent. as far as those do it yourself deals, i have heard good things about them. never tried on myself.

I did order "Ding King" so I hope that works.
I'll post back after I get it & try it out.

I borrowed my uncle's once and I actually had pretty good luck as well with one ding on my driver's door. Just don't expect it to "pop" right out right away, I had to do the process about 15 times lol! I am kind of a perfectionist though...good luck!

Crowded parking FTL!!!!

I don't see how this could be a problem, but would there be any issue with the PDR on my Mystic? I have 4-5 small dings that if taken out would look excellent. I am kinda scared of the do it yourself stuff, but there is a shop locally that does it, I just haven't heard much about it.

Dude dont even get me started on getting dings from parking lots. The 2nd month I had my car I came out and there was a cart rammed into the side of it sure enough there was a ding about the size of a quarter right below the passenger side side scoop. I was so ****ing pissed!:mad: I cruised over to advanced auto and bought that "ding king" that that clown billy mays advertises. I had little to no luck with the damn thing at all. I did manage to reduce it to about half the size of the dime but its still there and still noticeable. What really made me mad is that I SPECIFICALLY parked on the complete opposite side of the parking lot where there were no cars around for a good football fields lenght. Yet some ******* still saw the need to deliberatly walk almost a quarter mile out to my car and smash a cart into it.

I did notice that the ding king works really well with larger sized dents on my other cars but doesnt do much for the little dings. Your best soulution would probably be a good paintless dent repair shop.

Oh and if you use that ding king be carefull you dont over do it. I read somewhere that if you do over like 10 pops with it or something then it can actually make the affected area worse because it will raise with metal around where the dent is.

I seriously doubt anyone did that on purpose. You would be amazed by the way a cart can cruise through the parking lot with the right wind or slope. I've seen it many many times myself. When you are parked all alone, guess what a moving cart is going to hit first? Besides, if someone really wanted to damage your car, why would they hit it near the scoop? Right in the side of the door would make a bigger dent and piss you off even more.

Dude dont even get me started on getting dings from parking lots. The 2nd month I had my car I came out and there was a cart rammed into the side of it sure enough there was a ding about the size of a quarter right below the passenger side side scoop. I was so ****ing pissed!:mad: I cruised over to advanced auto and bought that "ding king" that that clown billy mays advertises. I had little to no luck with the damn thing at all. I did manage to reduce it to about half the size of the dime but its still there and still noticeable. What really made me mad is that I SPECIFICALLY parked on the complete opposite side of the parking lot where there were no cars around for a good football fields lenght. Yet some ******* still saw the need to deliberatly walk almost a quarter mile out to my car and smash a cart into it.

I did notice that the ding king works really well with larger sized dents on my other cars but doesnt do much for the little dings. Your best soulution would probably be a good paintless dent repair shop.

Oh and if you use that ding king be carefull you dont over do it. I read somewhere that if you do over like 10 pops with it or something then it can actually make the affected area worse because it will raise with metal around where the dent is.

Well i have found it to be ALOT easier to just freakin park my car where ever i feel like. If you park out in the middle of no where, and punk kids see a nice car parked alone. They think "HUH, i am going to park next to that thing, with my POS just to piss him off cuz he thinks he is so much better than everyone else and has to park way out here"... I see it ALOT! In my town there is only a few really nice cars, and alot of punk ricers.

And i hate to say it, but i USED to be a punk kid like that. I never owned a nice car till the stang. Now i feel really guilty for being such a dick back in the day. thats only my 02. and i have really only got one door ding in 3 years..

I seriously doubt anyone did that on purpose. You would be amazed by the way a cart can cruise through the parking lot with the right wind or slope. I've seen it many many times myself. When you are parked all alone, guess what a moving cart is going to hit first? Besides, if someone really wanted to damage your car, why would they hit it near the scoop? Right in the side of the door would make a bigger dent and piss you off even more.

Nah I think it was done on purpose. Heres the situation. I work at a mall and in the summer time there are always punk kids out playing around in the parking lot because they have nothing better to do but come up to the mall and play DDR all night. There have been dozens of incidents each year with kids vandalizing cars in the parking lot every year where I work. This happened to my car in the summer time and this is the worst time of year because they are all out of school. The security for my store and mall security is ALWAYS outside yelling at kids because they steal the carts out of the stores and run through he parking lots with them and let go of them so they hit cars. Last year there was a big issue with these kids because they were SPARAY PAINTING **** on cars all over the parking lot. The dent is under the side scoop because that is where the corner of the metal bar on the bottom of the cart made hard contact with my car. The whole cart was resting about in the center of my door but the corner of it is what dented under the side scoop.

Also I have already ruled out the possiblity of the cart rolling on its own seeing as the parking lot slopes AWAY from where my car was parked. So I assumed my car was a prime target for some idiot kids whipping shopping carts around because when I came out there were SEVERAL carts around my car but only one had made contact.

Yep. Looks like the kids were using your car as target practice.
Every place I park I consider a few things and then select where to end up. At work, I have no choice at all. An that is where I get most of my dings. I probably get 1 new one every 5-6 months. They add up.

I had a mobil guy come out and take some out of a black 97 Cobra. He charged 200 bucks because I had 7 tiny ones and one huge softball size dent. You couldn't even tell when he was finished.

I have seen other guys claim they can do it, and they fail. You see pick marks in the paint. That looks worse than having a door ding