Can Find The Answer Anywhere

5oundbit3

Oct 17, 2015
I am preparing to have a new engine built and get a new transmission for the 68 mustang I am restoring. I would prefer it to be a stick shift but cant find ant manual transmissions only conversion kits. Is it unheard of to find a manual transmission ready to drop in or what? Is the only real option a full conversion kit? I know its necessary to get the clutch pedal and other extra parts for the conversion but do I really need a full kit for like $2600, or am I missing something?

• Sponsors (?)

I am a little unclear as to what you are asking. I am going to guess you are looking for a transmission and you will hunt down everything else needed for an install, i.e. bell housing, clutch pedal, linkages/cable, etc. Depending on your engine choice, you could go with a T5. A T5 can be built to handle some power and is suitable behind a 6 as well. There are a number of places in the aftermarket for installation support and you should be able to locate one through a salvage yard instead of "new" if cost is a concern. I haven't done this conversion yet in our 67, but from what I have read, the "friendliest" T5 is from a Fox Mustang 5.0 as the shifter location will be close to perfect. The 94-95 Mustang 5.0 T5 input shaft is a little longer which would move the shifter location back and may cause other problems depending on your bell housing selection.

A T5 is a bit longer in the input shaft ,you can buy a spacer made for the swap or you can use the bell housing for the T5 .If you decide to use the factory style manual clutch it will require a bracket and clutch fork as the T5 housing is set up for a cable ,or you can simply use a cable clutch conversion .Finding a good used 4 speed may not be easy as they usually need rebuilding and they usually don't go cheap .