Can high mileage calipers destroy new rotors?

Pokageek

Jun 10, 2005
MA, USA
How do rotors get warped anyway? I have heard everything from the car sitting too long, extreme cold and heat variations (big puddle splash), torquing lug nuts too tight, etc...

My main concern is that my calipers have 148k on them. With they hurt my new rotors? Thx.

Just found this searching on another forum by someone named "MFE":

"A sticky caliper can be overheating a rotor causing it to warp"

• Sponsors (?)

MFE is right. heat is one thing that warps rotors. So if a caliper is dragging, that will do it. Even bad slide pins can cause binding, which equates to heat. Dragging the brakes (riding them) can do it too (heat again).

Also incorrect wheel (lug) torquing can warp rotors (that one is often forgotten).

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
MFE is right. heat is one thing that warps rotors. So if a caliper is dragging, that will do it. Even bad slide pins can cause binding, which equates to heat. Dragging the brakes (riding them) can do it too (heat again).

Also incorrect wheel (lug) torquing can warp rotors (that one is often forgotten).

Good luck.

Thanks for the confirm man! I will wait to put my rotors on until I buy new calipers.

Piston in a brand new caliper can stick too. I've seen it. I sell calipers for a living (1 of our 40 product lines). There's more to a braking system then the caliper. Guide pins can be an issue, rusted or pitted piston can cause damage and the list goes on. Heat is the reason for warped rotors.