Can I start a thread on electric blowers....

• Sponsors (?)

Save yourself some money and just get a leave blower and a roll of duct tape along with a half mile of extention cord. You can run it at the track! LOL

Reactions: 1 user
They are great to blow cool air on you while working on your Stang in the summer heat.
:spot:

Other than that, forget it. A belt driven supercharger takes from 50-200 HP to turn. So adding an alternator and an electric motor big enough to do the job would weigh so much and be so big that they wouldn't fit in the car.

Try 50 HP for a bottom line figure: 50 HP x 746 (number of watts to = 1 HP) = 37,800 watts. That's 169.5 amps at 220 volts, single phase. Last time I saw a 40 KVA, 60 cycle alternator, it was a little smaller than a 55 gallon drum and weighed over 750 pounds. The electric motor isn't going to be any smaller or lighter than the alternator.

You don't even need a blower, you could just route some ducting from the cooling fins on the alternator and that would eliminate all that extra weight... See, all cars have superchargers, they're just not hooked up right...

Yes, they exist and they are not worth it. Most of that stuff is crap and is more of an intake restriction than a power booster. Most stuff on ebay is hairdryer crap. Yes, the cfm ratings of leafblowers and such is high but that blows 600 cfm of air at atmospheric pressure. We need boost not atmospheric pressure. In order to compress air, it takes lots of power to the effect of 30-40 hp as mentioned by the good people above.

Some guy on ebay was selling a REAL electric supercharger. It was a paxton I think with 3 starter motors on one side and was hooked up to a bank of 4-5 marine batteries. It could produce 20 seconds of 5 psi (?) boost with a 15 minute recharge time. Guy knew his stuff. Stop and think about how much power it took to produce that little boost. Nothing 12 volts can possibly move enough air to power a 300+ cubic inch combustion engine. Working off memory, my number are probably off.

oh look, he has a website now:

http://www.boosthead.com/home.php

If you are really hauling around 5 marine batteries and 4 starter motors and a supercharger.....how much good is that extra 30 hp you gain? You'll lose 10-15 hp just hauling around 5 marine batteries

jrichker said:
Other than that, forget it. A belt driven supercharger takes from 50-200 HP to turn. So adding an alternator and an electric motor big enough to do the job would weigh so much and be so big that they wouldn't fit in the car.

I was reading a site somewhere about the fastest dragster and I think they said that it took 1000 hp just to run the supercharger! I couldn't believe it. Just thought I would throw that in, it was pretty amazing.

Yeah, but dont dragsters put down almost a hundred+ pounds of boost anyway? Thats a lot of power. I dont know.....I never really viewed dragsters as "cars" anyways. They were rubber propelled rockets.