Can I use a 70 302 and still use Fuel Injection-Need help ASAP!!

Chris6050

Founding Member
Jul 14, 2000
Nazareth, PA
I have a chance to buy a rebuilt 70 302 long block for a very good price.

My question is can I still use my fuel injection? I'm not sure if I can still use my fuel injection with a non-roller motor. Thanks.

-Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Yes. Without the roller cam you will need an iron gear for the distributor to match the iron cam in the 70 block.

Sure Chris - with the proper intake/computer/wiring harness/dizzy - you can inject the flat tappet motor no problem. Just be sure that the distributor/cam gears are from compatible materials, and that you use a flat tappet cam with the HO firing order - you may have to special order that. The other alternative is to use a non-HO flat tappet firing order and alter the injector wiring harness so the injector firing order matches the camshaft. You understand the issue?

I think I understand that.

For the intake, I was planning on using my Trick Flow Street Heat, would that be ok?

The engine has a Comp Cams 270H cam and it comes with the dizzy. So I just need to find out what the firing order is and then see if I have to alter the injector harness or not, correct? Thanks.

You got it - if the dizzy's still in it, all you have to do is find the number 1 spark plug wire and then follow them counterclockwise around the cap marking down which comes next. If it's 3 - then it's got an HO firing order - no harness change is necessary. If it's 7 (I think that's what comes next in the non-HO order), then you have to lay out the HO firing order next to the non-HO firing order, and cut/splice the injector harness so they squirt in the order of the cam. 4 of them won't have to be changed at all - they'll match up with both orders. And then there are 4 that will need to be swapped around - and they're probably not long enough to just be plugged into another injector - you'll have to cut/patch and lengthen the harness.

There is one 10 pin connector that has all the injector wiring in it. The trick with the injector harness is to move the pins around in the 10 pin connector to match the firing order. No cutting needed, just draw out a map of what the current setup is and what you need it to be. The pins will release and pull out of the rear of the connector shell. Then you push them back in the connector shell according to the new firing order.

You can buy new pins at AutoZone in a $5 repair kit for Ford wiring. That will help you figure out where to press on the pins to remove them. I have put new pins in old connector shells and it isn't hard to do at all.