Can I use a steel distributor gear on my roller cam?

• Sponsors (?)

Usually on bronze gears it take two to get it to act right. The intial meshing between the cam and bronze gear is kinda rough. So the first one gets removed and a second one thrown in. The second should last a long time. As long as oiling and clearances are adequate.

MSD makes a Bronze gear with nickel content of hardening. Damn good gears.

Usually on bronze gears it take two to get it to act right. The intial meshing between the cam and bronze gear is kinda rough. So the first one gets removed and a second one thrown in. The second should last a long time. As long as oiling and clearances are adequate.

MSD makes a Bronze gear with nickel content of hardening. Damn good gears.

could you explain how this theory works? what your saying is that the bronze actually wears the cam gear which would defeat the purpose of even getting a softer gear.

Does this look like it would do the job with the Ford cam? COMP Cams: Composite Gear for Ford FW Engines 0.530-inch shaft

also what about pressing it onto the shaft? I don't trust just a parts bin roll pin...

all dist gears have to be pressed onto the shaft but if you do buy that gear be careful, i was going to run one, until i heard of guys cracking them when they went to press them on the shaft. I've been running my steel gear on the MSD distributor for 2 seasons now, no issue, good wear on the teeth