can i use stock radio from mach 460 w/o cd player?

i have a 95 gt with the mach 460 system...when i got the car, the cd player was broken and i was goin to put in some autometer gauges in slot where the cd player was, so i popped out the cd player and put it on the driveway where i was working, and when i got everything in the dash cleaned up and put back together, i looked on the driveway and the cd player was gone......my lil 8 yrs old bro banged it up w/ a hammer....so my question is, untill i have enough money for a new cd player, is there any way that i can use the radio/tape player w/o the cd player in? (when i turn on the radio i get the music from the speakers when cranked all the way up, but its realllly quiet cause i guess the amp is not hooked up)

• Sponsors (?)

just unplug it and i think everything still works fine... my friend eric totaly rewired my stereo cause the factory amps fried and i just got my own set up and bypassed everything else, but i think i remember him unplugging it and it worked fine. may be wrong tho, but it takes 2 minnutes to try.

I would just get a nice MP3 player for the car. Most of them fit right in, and you can get one with the basics for under $200. I got a nice Pioneer one and it fit right in.

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take it with you"

"Smoke em if ya got em!"

5.0_GT_kid said:
Why does Mystery Stanger have my signature? lol
Because it's you??? :shrug:

I have a Sony that I got for $179. The output is great, it has a remote, removable face, sounds awesome, and fits in that center spot perfectly, with the little tabs that are on it..... It was another $30 or so for the proper harnesses, but allows for direct plugging in. If you wanna do it right, you cans start with all new fresh wires, but mine was fine and worked great.

Here is a pic, that is blurry, but you get the idea.
RC
1145828InteriorBezelFinished1.jpg

stprorolla49 said:
is there any way that i can use the radio/tape player w/o the cd player in?
I have a Mach 460 \wo a CD and picked up 2 used factory cassettes on e-bay and both had the same problem you describe. It must be somthing about the head units wanting the CD player for some reason. I gave up and got a Panasonic unit at Fry's for $110 that has dual preouts (4 plugs are very important!), hooked up the preouts with a Merta harness, and it works great! You can get used CD units on e-bay for about $20-$30. Even if the CD is busted you may be able to plug it in and the radio may work again. Good luck.