Can someone diagnose this timeslip???

NEEDA5.0

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2002
This was the first run with the 4.10's today.

60' 2.154 (With Drag Radials)
330 6.406
1/8 9.969 @ 67.44
1000 13.071
1/4 15.670 @ 86.35

The 4.10's really helped with the 60'. It was in the 2.45 range with the 2.73's.
It didn't seem to help at the far end though. Whats up with the 86 mph???

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like you're either spinning like mad through 1st and 2nd, and/or you're shifting waaay too soon. Run that sucker to at least 4500rpm between shifts, more like 5k+ and you should just about hit redline in 3rd by the time you cross the line.

Its an automatic and its shifting around 55-5700. I don't know how its spinning with drag radials. I was getting convertor shudder last year and when it shifts into 3rd the rpms surge about 300 rmp and it feels like it would if it was down shifting at a high rmp it kinda makes ya come forward in the seat. Really hard to describe.

Are you/it going into OD before you cross the line?
I'm not a big fan of automatics, so i dont know much about'em. I know you can do the shuffle and keep it in gear longer so it doesnt do this

NEEDA5.0 said:
This was the first run with the 4.10's today.

60' 2.154 (With Drag Radials)
330 6.406
1/8 9.969 @ 67.44
1000 13.071
1/4 15.670 @ 86.35

The 4.10's really helped with the 60'. It was in the 2.45 range with the 2.73's.
It didn't seem to help at the far end though. Whats up with the 86 mph???

Thanks!

I'd say you have too much air pressure in your drag radials, or are launching off idle, then I'd say you are shifting too soon or going into overdrive.

-Matthew

Yep and I'm not trying to manually shift it either. It went into overdrive just as I passed through the lights. Which I guess is just about where you'd want it ( about 5500). But I gotta be sure to take OD off next time just in case. Do you guys think the drag radials are hurting me? It does seem like the street tires hook better. I drove through the water and did about an eight second burn at about 2500 rpm. Those things should be grabbing like crazy.

Never ever go through the water before burnout. All that does is sling water up in your wheel whel and drips off, causing slipage. Drive around the water. Only do a 2-3 second burnout. Manuel shift, shift to second around 5400 and keep it in third till finish. Make sure timing is 14-15* Yor MPH is way to low, but it ain't cause of the drag radials.

I wouldn't think you should have ANY trouble with tire spin when you have DR's coupled with an AOD with a stock engine. Check out your posi by jacking up the rear, putting the trans in neutral, having someone hold one of the wheels while you try to spin the other one forward by hand. If you are able spin the wheel while the other is being held, you need to have the posi gone through. Also, I think your trap speed is kind of low, even for an AOD. You need to run in "D" next time so we get a better idea of what's going on though.

Actually yeah,with 410's and a con. he will spin like crazy off the line if hes not heating them rite.When I had my nittos,and 373's,they would spin pretty hard.The Nittos were good but,you had to heat them just rite.

It was in Drive.

I heard you weren't supposed to manual shift the 94. I was told to just put in in drive and leave it there.

I see people going through the water all the time, so whats up with that? When ARE you supposed to drive though it? I've heard this argument go both ways. I can see what you mean though about the water dripping.

What PSI do you guys recommend? Is 18 too high?

So much to learn...