can someone explain 87-93 strut, not same old?'s

hotstang_46

Apr 11, 2007
Charlotte NC
First let me say I've searched and not found answers to my questions. So I'm going to order myself up some shocks/struts.....I know the whole 87-93 front struts subject has been visited a million times but I can't find an answer to my specific question.

I understand why one would want to run the shorter strut on a lowered car (like mine 1.8 or so), but being that the strut was designed for a car of a different weight wouldn't the internals of the unit be different.....valving, oil weight, or whatever (don't know technical stuff on shocks/ struts)?

If i were to take say a tokico blue or whatever designed for a 87-93 and swap it for the designated model for my year would i notice any difference in ride at all?

• Sponsors (?)

The weight difference is not all that much between a Fox and a Sn95. It seems a big difference if we take the lightest fox (no option 5.0 coupe around 3000 pounds) and the heaviest SN95 (03.04 cobra vert around 3800 pounds) and compare those. But most Foxes and SN95's are within a few hundred pounds.

The springs are more affected by the weight more than anything. The struts simply dampen things.

The main difference is the fox body strut is shorter due to the Fox spindle having it's strut mounting holes slightly higher than the SN95's.

I always thought that you wanted more suspension travel in the front, and less in the back for better launches at the track. Wouldn't reducing the size of the struts in the front prevent the car from lifting as much on launch?

I always thought that you wanted more suspension travel in the front, and less in the back for better launches at the track. Wouldn't reducing the size of the struts in the front prevent the car from lifting as much on launch?

The strut does nothing to determine ride height or travel, and has to be matched within the range of the suspension movement. If you use a normal-height strut on a very low car, the strut will be pre-compressed by as much as the car is lowered leading to it bottoming out and failing prematurely.