Can someone explain 'Drifting' to me?

oz

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2000
Plymouth, MI
Visit site
Can someone explain the point of 'Drifting' to me?

I have been seeing these NOPI shows on SpeedChannel that feature drifting.
From what I can see, it appears that these people have spent large sums of money to make a perfectly good car corner poorly. If you live in the north, we get to do this every winter in the K-Mart parking lot without spending wads of cash... it's called 'doing doughnuts'. Many of us are also familiar with Outlaw racing on dirt. In both cases, the racing surface is slick but the car is made to grip and corner as well as possible.

Am I missing something or would it not be faster to get around the course in a car that was set up properly and did not constantly spin the rear tires?

Another question, how is this drifting competition judged? Does quantity, color, and smell, of the tire smoke count for something... If there are 'style' points given (like figure skating, synchronized swimming, or any other weenie sport, etc...) then it's not really a sport, is it?

Can someone please explain. :shrug:

• Sponsors(?)

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
Montgomery, NY
They don't do it to go fast, they do it to show that they can control a car in a "power slide" or "drift". They arent racing a clock, merely trying to get brownie points. It's all just for show not for any speed per say.

SVT32VDOHC

waiting for the next hack atta
Founding Member
Nov 22, 2001
Motor City
Drifting usually gets you into wrecks. Just watch Hogan knows best and watch his kid wreck all the FREE VIPERS...that spoiled little brat that can't drive for chit!!
Then he ends up wrecking his own Supra...post the pic guys.:flag:

25thmustang

Mustang Master
Sep 5, 2003
Montgomery, NY
It's not for everyone, like I personally cannot stand roundy round racing, even though I did it years ago. To say it takes no skill, now that shows you have never tried it or done it. There is more to it then spinning tires and turning.

Also to note, the thing with Hogans kid, he has wrecked, and even wrecked the Supra yes, but to think he cannot drive because of it? How many of you at 17 were pro drivers in ANY sport? I am pretty sure most 17 year olds with 800 hp cars end up wrecking, it's the nature of the beast. Wet road, 800 hp, 17 years old will not usually end well. Not saying anything to get him off what he did, he was 100% wrong, and dumb, I just think even though he messed up, he is probably a decent driver, just cocky with too much power!

BlooDReigN

Feb 22, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
A drift cars setup is actually close to what a road race car with the same stuff underneath it would be iirc. Just more swaybar stiffness in the back.
Not quite. Road race cars are meant to actually grip. A drift car is stiffer than hell front and back and has basicly no suspension travel. I've seen a few local *** cars that are set up for drifting try and make it around the road course and they are bouncing all over the place because their suspension is retarded.

Drifting is fun to do once in a while, but I couldn't justify spending loads of money to dedicate my car to it. I want mine to take the corners fast :)

oz

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2000
Plymouth, MI
Visit site
Since I don't enjoy ballet I guess it makes sense that I don't enjoy drifting...

If it's true what powerjon says and scoring involves 'showmanship', I have to add drifting to the list of 'non-sports' sports... ice skating, synchronized swimming, gymnastics, diving, drifting...
Do they get extra points for fart tips, big wings and wearing puffy shirts?

Strype

Cuthbert catcher
Founding Member
May 11, 1999
Huntsvegas, AL
Since I don't enjoy ballet I guess it makes sense that I don't enjoy drifting...

If it's true what powerjon says and scoring involves 'showmanship', I have to add drifting to the list of 'non-sports' sports... ice skating, synchronized swimming, gymnastics, diving, drifting...
Do they get extra points for fart tips, big wings and wearing puffy shirts?
you forgot emo haircuts :shrug:

Aliate X

May 9, 2005
Rockland NY
i thought it was gay until my friend whos really into drifting took me for a ride going sideways between parked cars and stuff, its DEFINITLY a lot of fun.

Mustang5L5

i'm familiar with penetration
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I have been seeing these NOPI shows on SpeedChannel that feature drifting.
From what I can see, it appears that these people have spent large sums of money to make a perfectly good car corner poorly. If you live in the north, we get to do this every winter in the K-Mart parking lot without spending wads of cash... it's called 'doing doughnuts'. Many of us are also familiar with Outlaw racing on dirt. In both cases, the racing surface is slick but the car is made to grip and corner as well as possible.

Am I missing something or would it not be faster to get around the course in a car that was set up properly and did not constantly spin the rear tires?

Another question, how is this drifting competition judged? Does quantity, color, and smell, of the tire smoke count for something... If there are 'style' points given (like figure skating, synchronized swimming, or any other weenie sport, etc...) then it's not really a sport, is it?

Can someone please explain. :shrug:

C;mon, you've never played racing video games and powerslided through the turns?? How about on a hot wheels car or a bicycle when you try to kick the rear out in the turn??

I remember playing Gran Tourismo and racing around the course trying to hold the longest powerslides through the turns. Yes i know it's not the best way around the track, but it takes a hell of a lot of skill to kick the rear out at 60MPH and hold it for 180 degrees. If you don't think so, next time you are out for a drive, try it.

Powersliding has always been fun. It's name has been changed to drifting and the import guys all embrace it, but it does take some skill to accomplish a nice hanging drift through a long turn

because the majority of drifters are import lovers/ricers, us Mustangers tend to look at drifting as gay. It's just another form of competitive driving.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
derek2079 Could someone explain how to make my windshield nozzles spray on my 67? 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 2
C Can Someone Explain In Layman Terms These Obdii Codes? SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 3
nicholasm617 someone just explain the importance of these basic mods? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 14
9 Fuel leak? Can someone explain an efi fuel tank to me? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
Stumbaugh PTVC question. Someone please try and explain SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
KillaKev702 Can someone explain altitude change to me? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 13
9 can someone explain runner volume plz 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 20
R Can someone explain/verify this for me? 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 15
BK_CAULEY can someone explain the advantage of coil overs? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 10
spirockp Can someone explain my 1/4 times to me in English? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 16
Mustang5L5 Can someone explain the hydroboost setup for me? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
Boostedpimp someone please explain the difference between "draw-thru" and "blow-thru" meters Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
deftsound Someone please explain this to me SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 14
Cruizer67 Can someone explain? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 6
1987Rock I know the main differences, but can someone explain..... 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 18
2Tone5.0 Can someone explain this? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 7
N Can someone explain to me about an aftercooler? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
hotstang_46 can someone explain 87-93 strut, not same old?'s SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 9
kingc Someone please explain this to me 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 7
carbed87 Blowby, can someone explain... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 22
95Vert Can someone explain the whole higher octane gas is not better thing? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 19
P Can someone please explain how Ford/SVT just keeps ****ing up? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 21
Foxfan88 firewall adjuster... can someone explain?? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
InMyPrimeSVT Can someone explain to me LCAs? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 15
L Someone explain to a Brit about Trick or Treat... 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 21
chobracobra Someone explain timing to me Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 19
W Can someone explain this to me? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
G Can someone explain to me what's wrong? (Clutch) 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 2
darthcual TPS can someone explain what i'm looking at Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 15
hersheyman Could someone explain the difference in gear sizes? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 4
S Can Someone Please Explain A Pushrod Engine. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 18
R Can someone explain this car to me Classic Mustang Specific Tech 11
1105 can someone explain this to me... 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 15
N8Miller Can someone explain to me a Lightning MAF on a fox body? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
Jekyl Supercharger noob. Someone please explain.. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
Must-Be-A-Stang Can someone explain.... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 31
OrangeMustangGt Can someone explain runner length on intakes? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 2
D Can someone explain to me suspension? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
S Can someone please explain Classic Mustang Specific Tech 1
Kdubslugga Can Someone Explain Lower Control Arms for me? How do they work? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
S Can someone explain why this happens????? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 8
MustangMatt1966 Can someone please explain these specs on my camshaft? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 8
1 Can someone explain to me how my car is still alive after 2-->1 shift??? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 27
M PLEASE SOMEONE EXPLAIN... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
M Someone please explain pinion angle adjust. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
R Can someone PLEASE explain.... Classic Mustang Specific Tech 8
9 Someone Explain FMU Hookup For Me Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
washMO66 Can someone explain the power valve Classic Mustang Specific Tech 14
none67 can someone explain this to me.. Classic Mustang Specific Tech 5
D Someone please explain this!!!1 Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5