Can someone explain 'Drifting' to me?

oz

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2000
Plymouth, MI
Can someone explain the point of 'Drifting' to me?

I have been seeing these NOPI shows on SpeedChannel that feature drifting.
From what I can see, it appears that these people have spent large sums of money to make a perfectly good car corner poorly. If you live in the north, we get to do this every winter in the K-Mart parking lot without spending wads of cash... it's called 'doing doughnuts'. Many of us are also familiar with Outlaw racing on dirt. In both cases, the racing surface is slick but the car is made to grip and corner as well as possible.

Am I missing something or would it not be faster to get around the course in a car that was set up properly and did not constantly spin the rear tires?

Another question, how is this drifting competition judged? Does quantity, color, and smell, of the tire smoke count for something... If there are 'style' points given (like figure skating, synchronized swimming, or any other weenie sport, etc...) then it's not really a sport, is it?

Can someone please explain. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

They don't do it to go fast, they do it to show that they can control a car in a "power slide" or "drift". They arent racing a clock, merely trying to get brownie points. It's all just for show not for any speed per say.

Drifting usually gets you into wrecks. Just watch Hogan knows best and watch his kid wreck all the FREE VIPERS...that spoiled little brat that can't drive for chit!!
Then he ends up wrecking his own Supra...post the pic guys.:flag:

It's not for everyone, like I personally cannot stand roundy round racing, even though I did it years ago. To say it takes no skill, now that shows you have never tried it or done it. There is more to it then spinning tires and turning.

Also to note, the thing with Hogans kid, he has wrecked, and even wrecked the Supra yes, but to think he cannot drive because of it? How many of you at 17 were pro drivers in ANY sport? I am pretty sure most 17 year olds with 800 hp cars end up wrecking, it's the nature of the beast. Wet road, 800 hp, 17 years old will not usually end well. Not saying anything to get him off what he did, he was 100% wrong, and dumb, I just think even though he messed up, he is probably a decent driver, just cocky with too much power!

A drift cars setup is actually close to what a road race car with the same stuff underneath it would be iirc. Just more swaybar stiffness in the back.

Not quite. Road race cars are meant to actually grip. A drift car is stiffer than hell front and back and has basicly no suspension travel. I've seen a few local *** cars that are set up for drifting try and make it around the road course and they are bouncing all over the place because their suspension is retarded.

Drifting is fun to do once in a while, but I couldn't justify spending loads of money to dedicate my car to it. I want mine to take the corners fast :)

Since I don't enjoy ballet I guess it makes sense that I don't enjoy drifting...

If it's true what powerjon says and scoring involves 'showmanship', I have to add drifting to the list of 'non-sports' sports... ice skating, synchronized swimming, gymnastics, diving, drifting...
Do they get extra points for fart tips, big wings and wearing puffy shirts?

Since I don't enjoy ballet I guess it makes sense that I don't enjoy drifting...

If it's true what powerjon says and scoring involves 'showmanship', I have to add drifting to the list of 'non-sports' sports... ice skating, synchronized swimming, gymnastics, diving, drifting...
Do they get extra points for fart tips, big wings and wearing puffy shirts?

you forgot emo haircuts :shrug:

I have been seeing these NOPI shows on SpeedChannel that feature drifting.
From what I can see, it appears that these people have spent large sums of money to make a perfectly good car corner poorly. If you live in the north, we get to do this every winter in the K-Mart parking lot without spending wads of cash... it's called 'doing doughnuts'. Many of us are also familiar with Outlaw racing on dirt. In both cases, the racing surface is slick but the car is made to grip and corner as well as possible.

Am I missing something or would it not be faster to get around the course in a car that was set up properly and did not constantly spin the rear tires?

Another question, how is this drifting competition judged? Does quantity, color, and smell, of the tire smoke count for something... If there are 'style' points given (like figure skating, synchronized swimming, or any other weenie sport, etc...) then it's not really a sport, is it?

Can someone please explain. :shrug:

C;mon, you've never played racing video games and powerslided through the turns?? How about on a hot wheels car or a bicycle when you try to kick the rear out in the turn??

I remember playing Gran Tourismo and racing around the course trying to hold the longest powerslides through the turns. Yes i know it's not the best way around the track, but it takes a hell of a lot of skill to kick the rear out at 60MPH and hold it for 180 degrees. If you don't think so, next time you are out for a drive, try it.

Powersliding has always been fun. It's name has been changed to drifting and the import guys all embrace it, but it does take some skill to accomplish a nice hanging drift through a long turn

because the majority of drifters are import lovers/ricers, us Mustangers tend to look at drifting as gay. It's just another form of competitive driving.