Can someone explain this car to me

Rat Race

Apr 3, 2005
New Jersey
posted about a 65 I found, but might have said its a 66.

Anyway took a good close look at it today

Fastback
Factory power front discs
Factory trumpet exhaust
4 speed
289 4bbl from factory
original console
original rally pak gauges
no power steering
no plexiglass (thought it did)
restored, no rust car, original floors, new quarters
no hood scoop (thought it did)
lowered suspension
Torq thrust "D"s, with custom flat center caps, no letter BFG's
Marti report
Bullet green, just a tad more modern shade
walnut steering wheel
New Holly carb
New chrome all around
Excellent interior

Asking 16,500

My question is the fender plate has a "K" and then says "4 SPEED" on it

Wondering what this means.

Owner says it is not a Hi Po enginge, but is it true you can have GT rear, and 4 bbl , and Pdiscs without being a Hi Po GT?

I see most other clean 65 66's on E Bay going for 15,000 up to about 23, so I think although 16,500 is not cheap, it seems you are getting some desirable stuff for the money.

I would welcome any comments on this car, no i cant post pics but I think i described it pretty well.

I dont think Id lose if i got it for around the asking price, are the 65- 66's going up in value, as much as the 67-70's ?

• Sponsors (?)

Im pretty sure all the years are going up in value. When i was 14 when i was looking for a car. I could pick up a pretty nice FB for around 10k, now there up to were you said. Now a nice coupe is worth that and then some. O yeah im 21 now.

well no marti report for 65 they don't have a Marti report untill 67 and they did not have power Disc Brakes on Gt's.
Unless its poney interior and its a fake wood steering wheel then the wheel is off also.

When you say fender plate are you talking about the Buck Tag ?
this would be a tag attached to the fender not printed into it like the Vin Number.

Look here for buck tag Info
http://membres.lycos.fr/gt69stang/usbodytag.html

My True GT has a PI0 on its Buck Tag for Performance Image Option: the GT option, in 1965, 1966 and 1967

The K on the buck tag and some of the other features makes me wonder about it being a K code with GT options added on later though . We need a VIN number and everything on the Buck tag .

Rat Race said:
I read the buck code link but here is exactly what is on the tag, and its on the passenger side inner fender not drivers .

26 EL5 5T09A169587

63A R 26

K RM 4 SPEED V8

5T09A169587--The A shows that it was a normal 289 4 bbl car. Is this the same # as on the VIN/title?

4-barrels were available without the car being a GT.

63A is standard interior.

I don't know what the K means on the buck tag, but I pretty sure the RM means Remote Mirror. It certainly is not specifying a Hi-Po engine.

dennis112 said:
5T09A169587--The A shows that it was a normal 289 4 bbl car. Is this the same # as on the VIN/title?

4-barrels were available without the car being a GT.

63A is standard interior.

I don't know what the K means on the buck tag, but I pretty sure the RM means Remote Mirror. It certainly is not specifying a Hi-Po engine.

I dont think youd ever see the words "4 speed" on a tag, it would list a code for it. For it to be a true factory GT it doesnt need to be a K code, it could be an A or K. There is no vin designation for the GT package. For researching a GT go to www.karmustang.com, theyve got a good article on all the little things that mde a GT and how to find them. If youre hung up on authenticy you might want to look elsewhere, but if the cars is truly solid and not half assed together, then the price is in the ballpark if youre just looking for a good solid fastback and original equipt doesnt matter.

TT670 said:
I dont think youd ever see the words "4 speed" on a tag, it would list a code for it. For it to be a true factory GT it doesnt need to be a K code, it could be an A or K. There is no vin designation for the GT package. For researching a GT go to www.karmustang.com, theyve got a good article on all the little things that mde a GT and how to find them. If youre hung up on authenticy you might want to look elsewhere, but if the cars is truly solid and not half assed together, then the price is in the ballpark if youre just looking for a good solid fastback and original equipt doesnt matter.

On the buck tag you would see 4 speed, but my decoder has no listing for K.
The original color BTW is Phoenecian Yellow with black standard interior. I agree this does not prove it was a GT, but does not prove it wasn't either.

Well even KAR talks about the P10 on the buck telling you a car was a factory GT. Thats the only way I would buy a GT from 65 to 66 No marti report. To many fakes out there wanting big bucks.

This one does not have it but it could be a dealer installed GT optioned Car.
It is an A code car so Who knows it could be a GT :shrug:

But you could get alot of the GT options and not be a Factory GT.

Mine says ( 4 Speed P10 ) at the Bottom of the Buck Tag
Its an Original 4 speed car and Its a GT

This is a quote from the KAR Mustang how to tell a True GT 65 66

The best way for a hobbyist to identify a “true” factory GT is to find the original Broadcast Sheet or Buck Tag and look for a P10 option (1965/66)

Everything else can be made to look like it.

mfp4073 said:
I thought there was a specific mounting point for the dual exhausts that was specific to gts...IIRC that mount point was different from normal or dealer installed duals. Anyone?

Yes there is 1 places that the duel exaust mounts are diffrent But anything can be faked well if you know what your doing. Although this would be a Tuff one since you can't see it and have to stick your finger in there.

Tip #1: Due to the dual exhaust, the rear frame rails have an additional bracket between the inside rails where the rear exhaust hanger bolts go through the frame. The bracket can be felt (not seen) by inserting your finger into the alignment hole (for the trunk floors) in the rear of the frame rail and bending it toward the rear of the vehicle

The non GT don't have that hanger and exit with turn downs under the rear Valance.

OK thanks for the info, the owner never said it was a GT car, but as Im new to Mustang decoding and options I just wanted to see what was what.

I dont know if I can afford to buy it right now, although I think sometimes when you find these cars you cant afford not to! I know Im not making any money in Stocks!

Im in the market for a new car, a semi daily driver, sure Id like a BMW but with a kid in college and another one starting in a year the guilt and reality sets in. :(

However, I have 3 more payments on my 01 Silverado diesel, thats my daily driver, and that will free up $586.00 a month. :D

Your hard pressed to get a newer car or new car for less than 30 grand today, so 15 for a vintage car that will go up in value kind of justifys my reason for getting it. :rolleyes:

But if anyone else is interested in it, and you got 15 grand burning a hole in your pocket, Ill point you in the right direction.