can someone explain this to me..

none67

Oct 19, 2003
i want to use something like a 275, or a 295 15 inch tire on my 67 coupe.
now the 295s are about 10inchs wide, but on ALL the charts they say i can only fit 235s on.

The wheel well is just about 13 inches wide, with the right backspacing shouldn't i beable to do this?

• Sponsors (?)

none67 said:
i want to use something like a 275, or a 295 15 inch tire on my 67 coupe.
now the 295s are about 10inchs wide, but on ALL the charts they say i can only fit 235s on.

The wheel well is just about 13 inches wide, with the right backspacing shouldn't i beable to do this?

I've seen several sources say that 235 was the widest you can go, but I know for a fact that they are wrong. I have IMCA tires on the back of my 68 coupe, they don't have a width size in mm's on them (only G60-15) but the tread width that's touching the ground is 10 inches. With the sidewall sticking out its probably 10.5-11 wide, and I still have probably a good inch between the inside of the wheelwells and the sidewall.

They are on 8 inch wheels, and they do not stick out from the back fender, they sit even with the fender lip. Hope this helps any.

I would suggest you find a tire of the size you want mounted on a wheel the size you want.... then measure them carefully. After you have those sizes clear in your brain, lay on your back under the rear wheel well (tire off) and start staring and measuring. If you've noticed, tire and wheel fitment is probably the number one asked topic around here. And it's real tough trying to get the most out of what you want or need without putting in the time to analyse it. Personally, I went a round with ideas I got from in here with the first set of wheels I bought. It worked out okay, but I had room for more. So I measured what I had and tried to envision what I could do yet. Luckily colt65 bought my set and I was able to get what I really wanted. The problem lies in the the variations of wheels and tires. There are other things to consider besides backspacing and tire widths. Wheel lips, actual tire mounting surfaces, sidewalls for different series of tires, etc. Actually when my tires came in, 275-40's, I propped them up in the well and I thought I screwd up because I didn't think they'd fit. The wheels scared me too. With the lips they measured 10.5 wide with a lip diameter of almost 19"! So things do change alot when the stuff gets mounted. Just take the time and do the leg work. And remember one persons opinion of clearance may be different from anothers.... Sorry for the long answer... :)