Can someone explain this?

2Tone5.0

Oct 11, 2007
Philadelphia
I have always been curious to know why the 93cobra is only rated 10hp over the regular 5.0. I thought with Gt40 cyclinder heads, 24lb injectors, and the cobra intake it would be putting out more than just 10hp.

• Sponsors (?)

I have always been curious to know why the 93cobra is only rated 10hp over the regular 5.0. I thought with Gt40 cyclinder heads, 24lb injectors, and the cobra intake it would be putting out more than just 10hp.

To my understanding, it was underrated from the factory for manufacturer regulation purposes. From what I remember, at least one person did a dyno, all stock, and got a 273hp reading. You may want to check out svtperformance.com as I'm sure you'd be able to find a definate answer.

Yup all of the above is true...they were underated to make the newer SN cars look a little better. They actually put out around 275 hp. The computer and cam used in the cobra leave a little to be desired...so with minor changes those cars can put down some good numbers.

Alright here is the low down as I see it...

In 1993 they changed the way they rated 5.0s. They dropped the rated power of the stock 5.0 from 225 to 205. Therefore the 235 rating of the Cobra is actually 30 hp more (or would be 255 had the car come out prior to 93). Also to note the Cobras computer from what I have heard was very temperamental. I heard rumors of a 93 mph timing cut and the fact that a regular 5.0 computer would help them out a good bit.

A guy in our clubs stocker tossed 235 to the tire (around there but might have had mufflers) which a stock 5.0 wont do. 200 woud be a good number for a stock LX or GT.

well you cant just toss a stock 5.0 computer into a cobra and hope its going to work perfectly. Everything in the cobra comp is cal'd to the 24# injectors....so there may be a little tuning necessary. But the cobra computer is very conservative. A custom cam, full exhaust, A9L computer, and some tuning would really wake a stock cobra up. I would say right around 275-285 to the tire if done properly.