Can someone explain to me about an aftercooler?

• Sponsors(?)

nicks199050gt

Dec 31, 2004
NH
I have a 90 gt with a 306 with an a trim vortech on it, I just got an after cooler for it and im just wondering how it works ?

Daggar

Jul 19, 2004
If it's the Vortech water to air kit, then it pipes the hot blower exhaust gasses through a heat exchanger and removes heat from those gasses by using the cooler water and heat absorbtion capabilty to cool the blower discharge air before it gets into the intake.

jrichker

StangNet's favorite TOOL
SN Certified Technician
Mar 10, 2000
Dublin GA
lowendmac.com
General explanation:
Any time air is compressed it makes heat as a byproduct. It makes no difference if it is a turbocharger, centrifugal supercharger or Roots type supercharger. They all heat the air as they compress it.

Heated air has two effects on engine operation:
1.) It reduces the power output because it is less dense that cold air at the same pressure. Denser air = more power.
2.) It increases the probability that detonation (spontaneous uncontrolled ignition of the air fuel charge) will occur and damage the engine.
Engines that operate with a hot intake air charge usually reduce the amount of spark advance. This reduces the odds that detonation will occur. It also reduces the power output.

So along comes the aftercooler or intercooler. Both are placed between the compressor and the intake valve and cool the intake air charge. This increases the air density and makes it possible to run more spark advance, both of which enable the engine to produce more power.

Aftercoolers or intercoolers come in two flavors: Air to air, or air to water. Both are similar to a mini radiator or heat exchanger in operation.

In an air to air intercooler, cooler air from the outside flows over the fins on the heat exchanger to cool the hot air inside. In theory, air to air intercoolers are limited to cooling the air to within several degrees of the outside air temp. In practice, this level of efficiency seldom happens: it is always 10 degrees or more hotter inside the intercooler than on the outside. The hotter the temp outside, the less temperature drop of the air charge inside the intercooler.

A variation of the air to air intercooler uses a burst of CO2 to cool the outside air flowing around the intercooler. Anyone who has ever used a CO2 fire extinguisher to cool the canned beverage of their choice can tell you how very effective this is. There is an obvious limitation since the pressurized CO2 takes up space and adds weight. The time duration of the effect is limited by the volume of the CO2 charge.

In an air to water intercooler, water flows over the outside of the heat exchanger to cool the hot air inside. Air to water intercoolers have an advantage in that they are more efficient for short time usage like a drag race. Chilled water can be used to make a greater temperature drop of the air before it gets to the intake valve. Air to water intercoolers have a limit on how long they can maintain this effect, since the hot air flowing through the intercooler gradually heats the water. That means you must either have a big tank of cool (or cold) water or the water will heat up to within several degrees of the air inside the intercooler.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
derek2079 Could someone explain how to make my windshield nozzles spray on my 67? 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 2
C Can Someone Explain In Layman Terms These Obdii Codes? SN95 V6 Mustang Tech 3
nicholasm617 someone just explain the importance of these basic mods? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 14
9 Fuel leak? Can someone explain an efi fuel tank to me? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
Stumbaugh PTVC question. Someone please try and explain SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
KillaKev702 Can someone explain altitude change to me? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 13
9 can someone explain runner volume plz 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 20
R Can someone explain/verify this for me? 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 15
BK_CAULEY can someone explain the advantage of coil overs? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 10
spirockp Can someone explain my 1/4 times to me in English? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 16
Mustang5L5 Can someone explain the hydroboost setup for me? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 0
Boostedpimp someone please explain the difference between "draw-thru" and "blow-thru" meters Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
deftsound Someone please explain this to me SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 14
Cruizer67 Can someone explain? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 6
1987Rock I know the main differences, but can someone explain..... 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 18
2Tone5.0 Can someone explain this? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 7
oz Can someone explain 'Drifting' to me? 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 25
hotstang_46 can someone explain 87-93 strut, not same old?'s SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 9
kingc Someone please explain this to me 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 7
carbed87 Blowby, can someone explain... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 22
95Vert Can someone explain the whole higher octane gas is not better thing? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 19
P Can someone please explain how Ford/SVT just keeps ****ing up? 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 21
Foxfan88 firewall adjuster... can someone explain?? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
InMyPrimeSVT Can someone explain to me LCAs? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 15
L Someone explain to a Brit about Trick or Treat... 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- 21
chobracobra Someone explain timing to me Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 19
W Can someone explain this to me? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 9
G Can someone explain to me what's wrong? (Clutch) 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech 2
darthcual TPS can someone explain what i'm looking at Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 15
hersheyman Could someone explain the difference in gear sizes? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 4
S Can Someone Please Explain A Pushrod Engine. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 18
R Can someone explain this car to me Classic Mustang Specific Tech 11
1105 can someone explain this to me... 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 15
N8Miller Can someone explain to me a Lightning MAF on a fox body? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
Jekyl Supercharger noob. Someone please explain.. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 2
Must-Be-A-Stang Can someone explain.... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 31
OrangeMustangGt Can someone explain runner length on intakes? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 2
D Can someone explain to me suspension? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
S Can someone please explain Classic Mustang Specific Tech 1
Kdubslugga Can Someone Explain Lower Control Arms for me? How do they work? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
S Can someone explain why this happens????? 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 8
MustangMatt1966 Can someone please explain these specs on my camshaft? Classic Mustang Specific Tech 8
1 Can someone explain to me how my car is still alive after 2-->1 shift??? SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 27
M PLEASE SOMEONE EXPLAIN... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
M Someone please explain pinion angle adjust. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
R Can someone PLEASE explain.... Classic Mustang Specific Tech 8
9 Someone Explain FMU Hookup For Me Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
washMO66 Can someone explain the power valve Classic Mustang Specific Tech 14
none67 can someone explain this to me.. Classic Mustang Specific Tech 5
D Someone please explain this!!!1 Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5