Can someone explain why this happens?????

stunner6910

Oct 31, 2003
south texas
I cannot advance or retard my timing. WHY??? :shrug: The mechanic who installed the cobra intake said he reset it to 10degrees and didn't advance it since that's where I had it. I tried advancing it yesterday and as soon as I moved the distributor just a little bit, it would start to bog and engine would almost flip over. I just left it where it was and it's running fine. Another thing, I can't see the timing line on the timing "thing" (IDK) and neither could the mechanic but he said he set it at 10degrees. I feel like I'm missing out on some free horsepower. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

on the passenger fender right near the iac plug (got into the air intake between the maf and tb) there will be a gray plug that about 1/4" by 1/2" in size. you pull that out and the computer stops advancing the timing (you were turning the distributor but the computer was compensating for it as much as it could to stay stock).

did you notice the mark on the balancer was jumping around a ton?? once the spout is out, it will stay in a certain spot then

It is located on the TFI wiring.

spout.jpg

On the balancer, dab some white out on the 0. Then put some white out on the pointer (it says "Time" or something). My timing light is the dial kind. I put it to the number I want on the dial then line the two white out lines. The light will be flashing "0". Got it at Sears for $69.

Yea, the spout has to come out to making timing adjustments.