Can someone help me detirmine what year/options this has?-

Mean67302

Jul 6, 2004
Northern NY
Even just the yar would be great.Ok.Here we go.

V.I.N. located near windshield reads:4F03Y397760

Decodes as:Model Year of the car is: 1974
Assembled at : Dearborn, Michigan Plant
Body Style (from VIN) is : 3 Door Hatchback
Factory installed engine: 140 c.i., 2.3 l, 2V, 4 cyl
Consecutive Unit Number :397760

Drivers Door Sticker V.I.N.-8F03Z108797

Decodes as:Model Year of the car is: 1978
Assembled at : Dearborn, Michigan Plant
Body Style (from VIN) is : 3 Door Hatchback
Factory installed engine: 171 c.i., 2.8 l, 2V, 6 cyl
Consecutive Unit Number :108797

The under the hood info states 2.8 engine too.How do I know what happened?If the hood and door came from a donor(likly)or the VIN was replaced?(unlikly but could happen)

• Sponsors (?)

The 74 front clip is about 4' wide in front of the radiator (where F O R D is)
75 and newer is only 1' wide or so. The Grill is also different, the blinker housings are not molded into the grill assembly like the 75 +.

Oh....

So you mean the part that says Ford if you are measuring from the front grille section to the hood(You would be measuring over the ford letters)on a 1975-1978 is about 1" or 2" and on a 1974 from the grille section to the hood is about 4"?

yep, you got it, not sure it's exactly 4 but close... if its 1-2 its not a 74. For that matter if it has T-tops it NOT a 74. It's gotta be a 77 or 78. My bet is that the VIN on the door is right. It's a 78 with the 2.8 and the dash has been changed.

:bang: Ugg.Went to the house the car was at and the owner(also my aunt,I have not traded for it yet)just insists it is and was titled as a 1974 as long as she had it yet it has the 1975-78 front end and t-tops.

Maybe someone just grafted the t tops onto the roof.The previous owner probally found a parts car for the roof,doors,hood,front etc.The vin does look like it belongs though and I think where I found some slight bubbling and a hairline crack on the a pillar/hatch area pretty much confirms this car is made from a donor.

Still it is weird that the door info decodes as about what the car looks like even though its a 1978 sticker and the car seems to be a 1974.Is there any other things to look for?Any opinions on this?

Another good indication of year is the gas filler location.
The filler on the 74 car is below the horizontal crease on
the rear fender and above it on the 77 and 78.
Also the wiper control is in the dash on the early cars
and on the turn signal stalk on the later cars.

Good luck

:bang: (again)I might go back to the car sometime today.I will check for the gas cap thing since I dont really want to take a fender off yet.If I remember right its above but I am not sure.It could have been changed couldent it?It looks as if I might have to look under the fender.

Thanks,
Ron

(BTW,I didnt find the bucktag near the radiator)

It's doubtful that somebody would have went through all the work to add t-tops, change the front header panel and grill and move the gas fill location on a 74. It's more likely that the interior was swapped and when your Aunt registered it the DMV only looked at the VIN on the dash and thus considered it a 74.

BTW I wish this had happened to me, that way my 78 would be excempt from CA smog testing.

I agree with jeffnoel nobody would go to that much trouble.
You can always make inquireys to the DMV. Just because
it is screwed up doesn't mean it can't be straightened out.
The 78 codes out to a 2.8 V6 is there a V6 in the car?

If the car is in good condition it may be worth the trouble.

Later :spot:

Mean67302 said:
Then it isnt illegal?Thats all I care because it would be my cruiser anyway.I wouldnt restore it to the original.It doesnt have the original motor anyway.

Didn't say it wasn't illegal. If it is a 78 registered as a 74 I would think some laws been broken, possibly fraud.

It doesnt have a V6 in it.The only reason I thought somebody might have did that is that they had a parts car and parts are hard to come by.So I am going to have to look under the fender huh?Since the car has already been registered as a 74 can it be a crime if the owner doesnt admit to it?I am not saying I would be one to do this but if it HAS already been done then what could happen?I could rebody it as a 1974......???