Can someone please explain how Ford/SVT just keeps ****ing up?

• Sponsors (?)

Although its already been said......a company that cares about building high quality performance cars understands the weight of the performance mods (s/c, etc.) and builds the rest of the car around that theme....lightens it up with advanced materials, loses stupid **** like a backseat, etc. The 500 is just a muscle car. Just like the 10,000# 64 GTO.

DocG2828 said:
Although its already been said......a company that cares about building high quality performance cars understands the weight of the performance mods (s/c, etc.) and builds the rest of the car around that theme....lightens it up with advanced materials, loses stupid **** like a backseat, etc.

True which would just add to the cost even more. Dealer markups aside, this automobile is one hell of a bang-for-the-buck.

DocG2828 said:
Although its already been said......a company that cares about building high quality performance cars understands the weight of the performance mods (s/c, etc.) and builds the rest of the car around that theme....lightens it up with advanced materials, loses stupid **** like a backseat, etc. The 500 is just a muscle car. Just like the 10,000# 64 GTO.

64 GTO was actually pretty light for a muscle car, and was about 500lbs lighter than the current GT500. You have to remember that while those cars looked big back then, they didn't have 200lbs of extra wiring and electronics. The bottom line is the new mustang is a pig to begin with, and the GT500 is a pig in a fancy dress.

Read recent issue of car and driver. GT500 got its ass kicked by 100hp less, but almost 500lb lighter C6 Vette(Non-Z06). Mainly due to its porky weight

I am dissappointed as much as guy next me. But then way those GT500 are going, it'll be loooooooooooooog time befor i ever get to drive one. So it doesn't matter

mity2 said:
Read recent issue of car and driver. GT500 got its ass kicked by 100hp less, but almost 500lb lighter C6 Vette(Non-Z06). Mainly due to its porky weight

F C&D (or was it R&T lol), they're a bunch of non-mustang driving retards...remember a few years ago when they tested a PI 4.6 vert to a tune of 15.1.

I can buy into magazines not always getting max performance out of their stand-alone tests....but when comparing two cars in a shoot-out, I highly doubt they bias the results. Honestly I'd trust their results more than SVT's publications. Now SVT has a reason to be biased.

And while making cars powerful and light is expensive, I still think Ford could have made it lighter for that price....its not likes its selling for 20k.

DocG2828 said:
I can buy into magazines not always getting max performance out of their stand-alone tests....but when comparing two cars in a shoot-out, I highly doubt they bias the results. Honestly I'd trust their results more than SVT's publications. Now SVT has a reason to be biased.
Exactly. The driver probably hasn't spent more time in either car. I imagine Evan Smith will run some crazy time, but it would be good if he would get some seat time in a 'Vette too -- for comparison.

I'm sure a mag test driver can outdrive my ass anyday. Even though every car is different, they get plenty of practice. So while their results may not be the absolute best the car is capable of, its probably a pretty good representation of what most normal people could do with the car. Besides, isn't it Stangnet that always says 1/4 mile times don't mean **** unless you have all the specifics about weather and environment to compare?

Check Evan Smith's time in an SS from a few years ago.

My favorite article is the WRX vs 03 Cobra. The WRX won by a tenth when the Cobra ran a 13.3...well driven C&D.

Can you imagine how awesome the GT 500 would be if it were the size and weight of the fox's?