Can someone tell me about putting Explorer brakes on a 9" rear?

1320stang

Founding Member
Nov 13, 1998
Edmond, Oklahoma
I did a search and came up empty handed. I know about Ultrastangs Mark VII brackets and I know about all the other aftermarket stuff, the GM calipers and such. That's not my question.

Has anyone put some Explorer disk brakes and calipers on their 8" or 9" rear end? I have a '57-'59 9" that I plan on putting under my '65 Mustang coupe that is a factory front disc brake car. I plan on changing those Kelsey Hays ones out too and I know to change out the M/C with a dual M/C for a disc/disc setup. All I want to know about is what it takes to put these brakes on a 9" rear that I have. I have no problem fabricating something on my own, but I did want to know if someone else is making them, or if there's a pattern out there.

• Sponsors (?)

i'm putting explorer disc brakes on my 9". the reason i'm able to do it is because i'm having currie make my housing and having them use the bolt pattern from the 8.8" on the ends where the plate bolts together. i don't think you can just bolt them on. :shrug:

Rich

It is my understanding that these will bolt on to a big bearing 9 inch rearend. My '58 rearend is a medium bearing though, so they would not bolt up to it. Currie sells the explorer brakes for about $400. They will probably be able to confirm compatibility with your rearend.

I have the Explorer brakes on my Currie 9". I bought the rearend that way so I don't know how much info I can give, but if you need pics let me know and I'll pull a wheel and snap away.

currie9.jpg