Can stock '03/'04 cobra injectors be used in a pushrod engine?

• Sponsors (?)

The connectors are also used on V6's 1U2Z-145411-BPA

The other little know fact about those injectors is they are made specifically for a spilt port so they have a split spray pattern. Doesn't make much difference spraying them into t a single port, but it's a fact to file away under useless information. They are essentially the same as 42's as far as fuel flow goes...
Don

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Don, would this split spray pattern create fuel "puddling" behind the intake valve and make the incoming air/fuel charge less efficient since the fuel may not be atomized completely if it makes contact with the sides of the intake port in the head?

The reason I even posted this is I'm running 24's now at 45lbs of fuel pressure and I'm at 85% duty cycle. I "think" I'll be making somewhere around 20-30 additional RWHP this year with the few changes I'm making and I'm worried I'll be pushing these 24's too much. I don't know what size injector I'll need when I put the turbo kit on. I was going to go right to 83's so that I'd have enough injector if and when I ever put a T76 on the car. If nothing else changes from now until the day i put the turbo on it'll have a T64e that I already have. I hope to have my combo making 380-400rwhp NA before the turbo goes on. The bad thing about the 83's is that I'll also need a low impedance injector driver and they'll be way over kill right now. I also considered a set of 66lb high impedance injectors as they should support close to 1000hp from the data I've seen on them. I just don't know what to do. I'm able to get these cobra injectors that have 20K miles on them for $120, but then the harness adapter is going to add another ~$70 to their cost which then brings the cost that much closer to a set of 66lb injectors. Any advise on what to do? Also, since I run an AEM I don't need to worry about a MAF calibration. I have a 190lph pump right now and will be doing a complete fuel system before the turbo goes on.

19 lbs. /hr. – 304 hp 19 lbs./hr.–258hp
24 lbs. /hr. – 384 hp @ 85% duty cycle 24 lbs./hr. – 326 hp
30 lbs. /hr. – 480 hp 30 lbs./hr. – 408 hp
36 lbs. /hr. – 576 hp 36 lbs./hr. – 490 hp
These numbers are at stock fuel pressure(i think). I don't have the link for the site I got these numbers from, but if I find it I'll post it.

If I were in your situation, I would be tempted to lean towards the 66 lb injectors.
While the 03/04 Cobra injectors would be nice to have, like you said with the harness the cost will be close to the 66'ers. You definately don't want to buy the Cobra injectors then find out later they won't work with the turbo.

I know the cobra injectors won't work with the turbo as it should see ~600+rwhp when the turbo goes on and that is way too much for the stock cobra injectors. I figured at $120 it would be a good compromise to get them now and run them for the time being, but as you said once I figure in the cost of the harness then it doesn't look like such a great deal anymore.

Paul, I know where you can pick up the harness adapters for $50 if you go that route.... Your pushing the 24# put we did some weird stuff with the inj in P/S applications you might be able to use some of the same tricks ;) For instance we made 30# work in applications that needed a 42#

The 66# will be a good choice, and if you go low impedence I would go 72# over the 83# they will work better for your combo and power output IMO.

Give me a shout ;)

I have the 60# injectors. They can be had for under 400.00 no adaptors and no inj driver. I made over 700 with them

DSC02307.jpg

Paul, get the SD 60's - great low PW spray pattern which makes for terrific driveability. We run them in our Mustang with the PT88 - they are rated for 60# at a FP of 43.5 - we run ours at a base FP of 55 - they take well to increased FP. So essentially with the increase FP, they are essentially flowing the equivalent of 76# injectors. And remember if you run them at Ford's standard 39.5 FP they flow 55#.

Those bigger injectors can be a bear to get right sometimes.

Don

Thanks guys!

Anyone else know where to get them from? I did a lot of searching around last night and only came up with a few places that list them. I, like everyone else, am a price shopper and always try to find the best deals, but I also don't want to order from some fly by night outfit.

The best deal I've found is from lighteningforceperformance.com and they have them for $329.95 shipped. A lot of other places want like $50/injector or more. Is there anyone else I should look at?

BTW DOn, what realistically is the max RWHP you think these things can support? I've read claims of 700-750rwhp, does that sound about right? I know that with elevated base pressures they will flow more, but what is the max you feel they can handle.