Can stock 03 cobra flywheel be resurfaced and used with new clutch?

AztecPride775

Dec 22, 2005
Reno NV
So my brother needs to replace the clutch on his 03 cobra. Can he resurface the stock flywheel and use it with the new clutch or does he need to buy a new flywheel to replace the stock one once he replaces the stock clutch. Im not sure if its true but we've heard the stock flywheel on the 03 cobras is aluminum with steel inserts. He was thinking of going with a spec stage 3 clutch, an act clutch or a centerforce dual friction clutch. And for those guys who have any of these clutches in your cars can you tell what you think about them. Any helpfull information from you guys will be very appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure... if you decide to go that route you may want to concider a dual clutch set up. Spec and Mcleod make a great Flywheel Dual clutch combo. The Center force dual friction has a rather stiff feel thats not for every one. The Dual Clutch set up will feel smoother than stock and hold twice the power as the dual fiction. some are rated up to 1500hp. I have a Dual clutch set up and it's freakin sweet. kinda pricy though... the combo set me back $1,300 looking at your mods listed cost prolly is not an issuse.

The stock 03/04 flywheel is aluminum with a steel insert riveted on. Ford says it shouldn't be resurfaced and is a throw away piece. However, there are more than a few people who have taken their stock flywheel to the local machine shop and had it resurfaced without problems, but they all say this can only be done once.

Try calling Mcleod or Spec. Supposedly they have the ability to replace just the insert for less than $100.

U.M.

Yeah thats what i thought. I heard you can get it resurfaced once. I think thats what he's going to do or maybe replace the steel inserts. About the clutch he is considering the centerforce dual friction and the spec stage 3. They have the centerforce dual friction in stock here at the summit racing in sparks nevada so its more convenient but he likes the spec stage 3 better but that would be shipped and who knows how long itl take to get here.