can the automatic take the abuse

corey796

Oct 27, 2004
i know the manual is good but will the automatic live up to it ?
does any one know what else it has been used in?
i would like to have it tuned and add bolt on's for another fifty hp i dont know if i should order auto or not thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I think the Auto will be able to handle some more power. A couple of the stangs at the SEMA show were supercharged and had the Auto Tranny. To my knowledge its the same auto that is in the Lincoln LS and Jaguar but like everything else I am sure there will be Upgraded parts available soon for the Auto Tranny also!

i doubt it

I know it's a new supplier and transmisison but I think if you race or drive your stang hard alot it won't last long. but hey you got a three year warranty and oyu can get an ESP to cover it longer.

royb said:
I know it's a new supplier and transmisison but I think if you race or drive your stang hard alot it won't last long. but hey you got a three year warranty and oyu can get an ESP to cover it longer.

It's not a new transmission. It's the same tranny that's been in Jags and the Lincoln LS for several years. As someone else stated, there are Jags making around 400HP with this tranny.

TomServo92 said:
It's not a new transmission. It's the same tranny that's been in Jags and the Lincoln LS for several years. As someone else stated, there are Jags making around 400HP with this tranny.

You are partially correct, Tom.

The trannie is the 5R55S. It has been used in the Lincoln LS, T-Bird, Jag S-type (standard auto) and the Explorer since the 2003 Model year. It is very similar to the 5R55N trannie which went into production in 1999 and was used in the same vehicles.

However, the Jag S-type R uses a 6 Speed ZF auto trannie, not a Ford 5R55x trannie.

The 5R55 tannie is rated at 550 lb ft - intermittant duty. While 550 lb ft may sound like a lot, the torque converter can give up to a 2 :1 torque multiplication. How Ford gets away with this is by using the engine managment software to limit torque during shifts.

I would prefer a trannie that uses more robust internals, but I think most customers will be OK with the auto trannie. Those that modify the PCM code and remove the power limiting are going to open up a can of worms.

tjones2 said:
I think the Auto will be able to handle some more power. A couple of the stangs at the SEMA show were supercharged and had the Auto Tranny. To my knowledge its the same auto that is in the Lincoln LS and Jaguar but like everything else I am sure there will be Upgraded parts available soon for the Auto Tranny also!

Chances are, those are just show cars. The superchargers where just mocked up to show the public what the product could look like. Unless the car was a specific race car, id say mock up.

351CJ said:
You are partially correct, Tom.

The trannie is the 5R55S. It has been used in the Lincoln LS, T-Bird, Jag S-type (standard auto) and the Explorer since the 2003 Model year. It is very similar to the 5R55N trannie which went into production in 1999 and was used in the same vehicles.

However, the Jag S-type R uses a 6 Speed ZF auto trannie, not a Ford 5R55x trannie.

The 5R55 tannie is rated at 550 lb ft - intermittant duty. While 550 lb ft may sound like a lot, the torque converter can give up to a 2 :1 torque multiplication. How Ford gets away with this is by using the engine managment software to limit torque during shifts.

I would prefer a trannie that uses more robust internals, but I think most customers will be OK with the auto trannie. Those that modify the PCM code and remove the power limiting are going to open up a can of worms.

Ahhhh...then I stand corrected. At any rate, it's a vast improvement over the outgoing auto that's for sure.

thanks for the replys

well it looks like a 5 speed it will be i was hoping to try and mod the trans shift points, how hard it shifts and any thing else the programmers that will be out for the car but keeping the grand for up grade will let me do other stuff

Chaotic Bliss said:
I am pretty sure that the 5spd tranny used in the Jaguars with 390HP was from Mercedes (my dad had 3 of these cars).

As I posed above, the 6 speed Jag trannie is made by ZF. Mercedes probably uses that same ZF trannie as BMW also uses it.

The 5 speed Ford trannie is still standard on V6 S-types, the 6 Speed is optional.