Can This Be Welded?

All Stock93

Apr 16, 2016
Exhaust pipe split between the H and muffler. I rarely see original exhaust stuff available so do you think this can be welded and smoothed to look close to factory again?

exhaust%20crack.jpg

exhaust%20crack1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe,but man would it be a pain to weld up,the metal on either side of the split is going to be paper thin and easy to burn through. And I'm sure other rot is going to show through in that pipe sooner than later. I know from your other thread that as original as possible is your goal . But I'd just have that section replaced.
And... That's just my opinion :)

Reactions: 3 users
What I m going to tell you to do is more involved that splicing a new section of pipe. However, it will insure that the resulting repair does not change the length of the pipe so that it fits the same as it did before the repair.

This method will work well, and I have tested and proved it reliable. I used it to fix a MAC catalytic converter H pipe that rusted out holes in the "H" section that joined the 2 pipes together.

Pull the pipe off the car and stop drill the crack ends with a 1/8" drill. That will keep the crack from spreading further

Get a piece of exhaust pipe the same size as the original pipe (or the next size larger) and cut it about 2" longer that the crack. Next, split the tubing you just cut lengthwise into 2 halves. Lay one of the spit halves on the section of exhaust pipe that is cracked and trim and massage it until it is as perfect a fit as possible. If you selected a patch pipe larger that the OD of the original pipe, you can use both halves to cover damage on both sides of the pipe where it split. Trim it so that about 1" of the patch extends beyond the crack. Use a hose clamp to hold it in place when you transport the whole mess to the muffler shop to get it welded. Have them tack weld it in several places before you remove the hose clamp. Then have them finish up the rest of the welding. When they are done, a disk sander can be used to clean up the welds and make it look neat. The resulting patch if done correctly, is stronger than the original pipe and will not fail unless the welding is poorly done or you grind too much off of the weld.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hard to see but is there a lot of corrosion on the ends. I agree with Mike, I would butt weld that thing. Put some hose clamps around it and tighten them down, put some spot welds just enough to hold it and then run a line.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm with Mike on this one. The metal on the edges of the split will be thin and rusted...a bad combination when it comes to welding.

Reactions: 1 user
Is the slit hidden from veiw? Hard to hide stuff from mca judges
You may be better off finding a factory replacement part, check with a judge or the rules book, I know bob perkins used to be a mca judge and he is still around just google him, he would know the answer or advise on how to find out.

Is the slit hidden from veiw? Hard to hide stuff from mca judges
You may be better off finding a factory replacement part, check with a judge or the rules book, I know bob perkins used to be a mca judge and he is still around just google him, he would know the answer or advise on how to find out.

It's very visible. I'm looking for another piece but I rarely ever see decent original exhaust stuff for sale. The pipe is almost entirely split from the H pipe flange to the factory weld on the muffler inlet.
I'll most likely have an exhaust shop do their best to try and make it

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users