Can you get a T-56 with a 6th gear Other than .62 or .75?

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks Adam. I sent them an email. Ideally, I am looking for a .68 6th. I like the closeness of the ratios but a .62 is too low for my cam and 3.55's. So if they dont have that, I would have to go to the expense of changing out my rear gears which will be too low of a 1st than I want.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, this is merely just my opinion...

But, you do realize that there really aren't any advantages that you get by swapping to a 6-speed. They are heavier than a built T-5, the T-5's have about the same final drive ratio, and the 6-speed will burn a hole through your wallet.

I'm just trying to save you some money here, not trying to be a buzz kill...

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, this is merely just my opinion...

But, you do realize that there really aren't any advantages that you get by swapping to a 6-speed. They are heavier than a built T-5, the T-5's have about the same final drive ratio, and the 6-speed will burn a hole through your wallet.

I'm just trying to save you some money here, not trying to be a buzz kill...

Show me a T-5 with a .5 final ratio :D

But i agree with you, in this situation, from a standard gear ratio/weight perspective....i dont see a huge advantage. I want a 6speed with the .5 6th gear, but if u dont want that....then what advantage do u really get?

Unless u just dont like how TKO600's shift. Or have no faith in a gforce t-5. :shrug:

Show me a T-5 with a .5 final ratio :D

But i agree with you, in this situation, from a standard gear ratio/weight perspective....i dont see a huge advantage. I want a 6speed with the .5 6th gear, but if u dont want that....then what advantage do u really get?

Unless u just dont like how TKO600's shift. Or have no faith in a gforce t-5. :shrug:

Well, the 5 speeds don't have a .5 final ratio, but they do have a .68 (I believe that's right) ratio.

But I've just seen so many people get caught up in the "It's got a 6-speed" hype. A lot of people think the 6-speeds are better or more "exotic" since all the Shelby's, Cobra's, Vipers, and most exotic cars have them. But in most cases, manufacturers put 6-speeds in their high HP cars to help make up for gas mileage.

Overall it's a much heavier (<-Grammar?) transmission, the swap kit alone costs around $3K (last I checked) and is a pain in the butt to do the swap. I've also heard that the T-56 transmissions aren't even all that strong compared to a built T-5.

Like I said though, it's your car so you decide what YOU want. I'm just trying to give you some advice is all...

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but I just wanted to add this, it's from a guy that does tech support for Tremec transmissions:

"As for the T56 on a stock '95? Why?
Especially the Viper unit. The 6th gear in a Viper is a .50 over drive. This means 50% reduction in rpm's. While that sounds great on paper, in reality, on a stock car, the engine won't pull it unless you are planning on running 120+mph. To use a Viper unit effectively, you need at least a 4.10 rear gear. A 4.30 or 4.56 is even better. Your car doesn't start building torque until around the 2000rpm range. A .50 6th gear and a stock rear gear means at 70 mph you will be turning about 1500rpm's. Your motor is going to luggin and chugging and it will actually use more gas. You need to pick a ratio that puts your engine rpm in the range of the torque curve. In other words, if your motor starts making torque at 2000, you need to pick a gear that'll allow you to cruise at 2100-2300rpm at highway speed. This gives you both performance and gas mileage.

IMO, there are alot better choices for your application other than a T56. For instance, the TKO. It is every bit as strong as a Viper T56. In fact, the TKO-600 is rated at 600ft/lbs where the Viper is rated at 550 ft/lbs. The TKO's have a 5th gear overdrive comparable to your T5 that you want to get rid of so it'll keep your engine rpm's in that sweet spot of the torque curve like the T5 did. The other options is a stronger T5. They can make the T5 strong enough to be rated at 500-600 ft/lbs as well and once again, the gearing will be right for your car."

You can't build any of the 5 speeds as strong as the T-56/TR-6060, and the dude has a 414 cid engine. That's reason enough right there. The T-56 just has more room to work with when it comes to putting in beafier parts.

Kurt

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but I just wanted to add this, it's from a guy that does tech support for Tremec transmissions:

"As for the T56 on a stock '95? Why?
Especially the Viper unit. The 6th gear in a Viper is a .50 over drive. This means 50% reduction in rpm's. While that sounds great on paper, in reality, on a stock car, the engine won't pull it unless you are planning on running 120+mph. To use a Viper unit effectively, you need at least a 4.10 rear gear. A 4.30 or 4.56 is even better. Your car doesn't start building torque until around the 2000rpm range. A .50 6th gear and a stock rear gear means at 70 mph you will be turning about 1500rpm's. Your motor is going to luggin and chugging and it will actually use more gas. You need to pick a ratio that puts your engine rpm in the range of the torque curve. In other words, if your motor starts making torque at 2000, you need to pick a gear that'll allow you to cruise at 2100-2300rpm at highway speed. This gives you both performance and gas mileage.

IMO, there are alot better choices for your application other than a T56. For instance, the TKO. It is every bit as strong as a Viper T56. In fact, the TKO-600 is rated at 600ft/lbs where the Viper is rated at 550 ft/lbs. The TKO's have a 5th gear overdrive comparable to your T5 that you want to get rid of so it'll keep your engine rpm's in that sweet spot of the torque curve like the T5 did. The other options is a stronger T5. They can make the T5 strong enough to be rated at 500-600 ft/lbs as well and once again, the gearing will be right for your car."

The viper unit is not the only one that has a .50 overdrive. Our GM boys do also....and they dont have a 3.73, 3.90, 4.10, or a 4.56 rear gear. :shrug:

Maybe they lug and chug....and their great MPG rating is just a lie:(

Good posts. Well, my G-force is a tricked out T-5 that handles TONS of tq and HP just as the tko-600..It's made to be POUNDED on at the track by a high HP motor..BUT I put the wrong 5th gear in it(.64). I have 3.55's and it lugs on the b-way and doesn't agree with my cam. Its also a bit too whiny for me. So that's why I am thinking different trans...

On the 6 speed:
I basically agree with you 302:
1. The advantage that a 6-speed has on me is 130+ where my 4th gives up with the 3.55's. :nice: So I thought it would be "cool" to have one and not give up any advantage..
2. Too pull it off, I would need a much lower rear for a .50 6th.

I DONT need a lower rear gear b/c all I am going to do is blow off the tires on the low :nono:...unless I go with the 2.66 1st on the "race" t-56..but that has a .82 6th ..IIRC..either way its too high. :notnice:

I could go NUTSO :rock::Track: and run 4.56's or better..but then I am going to have to change out the tires to toyo r888's or something so I don't smoke my rims off. That's getting into more of a track car and not my street def..plus I like a little longer 1st gear.

TK0-600:
This is prolly the direction I am going but they show a .64 5th and I dont want that. The 500 has a .68 and I am trying to see if I can get that gear in the 600. The 600 gives up roughly .05 on 2nd and 3rd..but that's not too much..

I have a viper spec t-56 and I honestly consider it one of my most enjoyable purchases. My past 2 cars have had 4.10's so the .5 overdrive is very beneficial to me. All the benefits of lower gears without the abuse on the engine going 3k+ rpms ALL the time. Right now the transmission is in a stock 94 cobra. The install was easy the second time around. First time I had a twin disc clutch which was a pain with no alignment tool. Had to get an h-pipe bent. But as far as the transmission, crossmember, and single disc clutch install it's as easy as a t-5, although a lot heavier. (I use two jack and it goes right in).

If you call D&D they can answer any question they have, and they are really nice/extremely knowledgable.

I bought mine used from a guy using it in a turbo 94-95 mustang. They are strong transmission and one less worry that I have while driving or racing. And I can't explain the comfort in being able to place my hand on the shifter while cruising and rest my elbow on the console.

The only down side is having to tell every person that drives that car, "IT'S A 6 SPEED, DON'T TAKE OFF IN 6TH THINKING IT'S REVERSE." Got an alignment a few weeks and watched the guy creep the car forward and kill it. One thing I've learned is in a situation like that, park a little further away from the curb than normal.