Can you pull the motor without pulling the tranny?

5.0Torx

Dec 30, 2007
hey all

This whole top-end swap with the engine in the car is not going well for me. Last time i pulled the radiator and the accessories out and had the top end all torn off and thought to myself "you know, itd be about 30 minutes more work and i would have this thing on an engine stand and not have to kill my back bending over fenders to do all this crap".

Its still not running right and not its leaking oil ou tof a valve cover. I dont know what to do except pull the bitch out and do it right with the engine out of the car. I dont want to pull the tranny out though. Can i just unbolt the exhaust, bellhousing, and motor mounts? what about the dowel rods holding to the tranny?

• Sponsors (?)

The dowel rods are just to help align the bell housing. keep in mind that the pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel, so it would come out with it. Then you may have alot of issues getting the trans/clutch lined up. FWIW, I can have the trans out of my car in about 30 minutes. It would make things a lot easier if you pulled the trans out.

Yes, you can pull the motor with out pulling the tranny. You will need a way to support the front of the trans. though.

I don't know your working conditions, but I have always pulled the trans. out first, esp. on stick cars. Lot easier to get it out and back in by yourself!! Just my .02!!

That's how i've always done it. Why drop the exhaust and all that crap when you don't have to? All you need to do is get the splines lined up good before you drop the engine in and you need to man handle the engine to push it back onto the input shaft. It helps to have a jack under the trans and you'll have to work the engine hoist and trany jack to make sure they're lined up and even with each other.

That's how i've always done it. Why drop the exhaust and all that crap when you don't have to? All you need to do is get the splines lined up good before you drop the engine in and you need to man handle the engine to push it back onto the input shaft. It helps to have a jack under the trans and you'll have to work the engine hoist and trany jack to make sure they're lined up and even with each other.

Thats what I do, the hardest part is getting the input shaft in just right. A method I used to check is to put a ratchet on the crank pulley bolt and turn it and see if the car wants to move forward with the movement of the engine, but I just thought about it and thats really only doable with a 5 speed but it works pretty good :nice: