Can you put together a better stereo for $600 or less?

66Satellite

Banned
Feb 6, 2003
Since the Shaker 500 costs approx $600, could you put together something better for $600 or LESS? Not including stuff you might have laying around or whatever, but from basic aftermarket stuff that is generally sold for $600 or less...

• Sponsors (?)

you can find a decent deck for around $200-$250, and about $300 for front and rear speakers, and a small 4 channel amp for around $150. You could do it, but it'd be close, you gotta figure installation materials as well. I'd say $700-$800 for a good system.

I paid somewhere around:
$120 12" Alpine Type R sub
$50 sub box
$200 Kenwood MP3 player headunit
$180 Alpine MRD-M300 amp

I don't know if you have to replace the headunit... I bought these things 3 years ago at those prices.

One of the reasons why I never replaced the Mach 460 in my 00 GT Vert is that it looks so "Ford" that I never have to worry about anyone stealing the head unit...

What I want to know is:
a) How much better is the 1000 than the 500?
b) Will the 1000 be available in the new Vert due to the folding top?

GusinCA said:
One of the reasons why I never replaced the Mach 460 in my 00 GT Vert is that it looks so "Ford" that I never have to worry about anyone stealing the head unit...

What I want to know is:
a) How much better is the 1000 than the 500?
b) Will the 1000 be available in the new Vert due to the folding top?

I can take a stab at these. I have the 1000.

A.) 500 more. Just kidding. :rlaugh:

The Shaker 1000 Audio System includes: 1000 watts of peak power, in-dash 6-disc CD changer with MP3 capability, two front door-mounted subwoofers, two trunk-mounted subwoofers, and premium rear speakers

The Shaker 500 Audio System includes: 500 watts of peak power, in-dash 6-disc CD changer with MP3 capability, two front door-mounted subwoofers and premium rear speakers

Biggest difference is the 500 watt amp in the trunk with two 10" subs in box.

B.) Not sure about getting the Shaker 1000 with a vert. Doubtful but keep your fingers crossed. Pretty sure where the top goes will be competing with where the subs and amps go. Not to mention rear speakers. Maybe they can mount it all under the seats. :shrug:

If you are going to change the radio out, you need to change everything, pretty much. Ford uses wierd speaker configurations, espically in the MACH / Shakers setups, such as 2 Ohm speakers, etc.

Cost of replacing the whole setup that would be worth all the work, and sound GOOD.

Head Unit: $200
5 Channel Amp: $300
Front Speakers (seperates): $150
Rear Speakers: $100
Sub with Box: $150
Wires, harnesses and RCA's: $100+
Total: $1000+

A cheaper way would be to use a 4 channel amp and bridge the rear outputs of the amp to your subs, and run the rear deck speakers off the deck.

These are round about prices, if you do some good shopping on the net, or around with all the x-mas specials you could probably do it under $800. Some places like Circuit City will give you a break for a whole install.

GusinCA said:
:lol:
When I got my 99, I only had the premium 80W system. Once I learned about the Mach 460, I wanted it. Then I heard it, it was only mediocre. The bass wasn't very strong and it sounded only so-so. So I am very glad I went aftermarket. I haven't upgrade my regular speakers yet but they sound fine :shrug:

I know you are asking about a shaker 500, but I have test driven a car with the Shaker 1000, and IMO, it was good for stock, just wasn't to my high standards. I tried out Hotel California, and just wasn't what I though it should be for a thousand watt, $1,200 stereo. The Bass was almost overpowering at low volumes, so I had to turn it down a bit, but then when you turn the volume up, there wasn't enough base for a proper balance, so I had to turn the bass back up. When I get my car, I will opt for the cheap deck, and upgrade with a decent aftermarket system. Besides, I am hoping to get a NAV system, so I maybe I won't always be so hopelessly lost... :D

I think Ford has started a conspiracy about trying to change the audio systems in cars equipped with MACH/Shaker systems! If you ar going to do after market, stay with the stock radio as it'll be much easier. And although it is covered by the factory warranty, $1200 for two 10's and a 500 watt amp seems a little steep. I think a good way to go would be to get the Infinity Bass Linx system. Its small, puts out a lot of sound (a 10" active woofer, and a 10" passive woofer), and is about $300. Although it would probably being a pain to wire to the Shaker 500 system...

Question about the Shaker systems though: I have seen conflicting ideas. In one place on the Ford website it says it has 6 speakers, but in another it says it has 8. I know there are 2 8" subs in the door, plus 5x7 in the doors, and on the rear package shelf. Is there any more...maybe 2 tweeters somewhere?

Any aftermarket system would be better than the Shaker system, if it was properly installed. (Easier said than done). The best thing about the Shaker 500 system is that it has enclosures in the doors for the door subwoffers. Ported enclosures. The subwoffers occupying those enclosures are low quality. I doubt that they have a real crossover network. Probably just caps and chokes.

The Shaker 1000 system has two more small subwoffers in the trunk. They are not 10" subs. They are six or maybe 8" subs. Poor qquality. Ford is saying that the 10 speakers in the 1000 system are better speakers than the 8 in the 500 system. They probably aren't much better, but I don't know.

If you could replace the speakers in the door with JLs or something you'd have a better system. If you could get your own amp to power them off Fords head unit, you'd have a much better system. If you threw the whole thing out and just kept the ported subwoffer enclosures in the door, you'd have a much better system, probably not much more than another $600. You could get a better system for $600 from the base system, too.
But you'd have to open, cut, snip, solder, whatever. Just leave your Shaker 500 alone, and forget the Shacker 1000, I'd say.

for 1600 (2 years ago) I got a Alpine CDA 7995 which went into a kicker 300.4 amp and powers 2 sets of kicker component speakers (4 5x7's and 4 tweeters) and A kicker 600.1 powering 2 Kicker solobaric L7 10" subs. I would set off car alarms yeards away yet have cyrstal clear highs and no muddy base. Got into an accident ford people said I wired things wrong and they "fixed it" I get it back and one sub is blown and the next one blows 6 months later.. out $400.

That sustem now could be had for closer to 1200-1300 dollars. It was worth about $3500 on crutchfield at the time

for 600 or less a alpine mono bass amp an alpine 4 channel amp and kicker comp sub should not cost you more than $275 get a Alpine HU mp3 player for 175 or so and spend the rest on some components and wires.

I would say to have a nice system make the budget $1000

StangDiego said:
Question about the Shaker systems though: I have seen conflicting ideas. In one place on the Ford website it says it has 6 speakers, but in another it says it has 8. I know there are 2 8" subs in the door, plus 5x7 in the doors, and on the rear package shelf. Is there any more...maybe 2 tweeters somewhere?

S500 is suppose to have 6 speakes and you get 8 speakers in the S1000.

BlackArtemis knows his stuff. Plus, just about any Alpine system is going to be worth every dollar you spend on it. I've had the same Alpine head unit in the car I have now for 7 years and haven't had one solitary problem with it. I did order the Shaker 1000, and that was before I read anywhere that anyone was having problems with some of the CD's not being read, or not working at all. I just pray I don't have problems with min. Furthermore, I've heard alot of aftermarket speakers in friends cars and the 1000 (though kind of steep if you are on a strict budget) sounds great to me when it was placed beside a Shaker 500 at the dealership I ordered my GT at.

I got the Shaker 500 for the sole reason of having the subs in the doors. I can see paying $600 for the 6disc-in-dash cd player and the subs in the doors. But I CANT see paying an extra $1000 for 2 subsin the trunk!!! :notnice: You could get some compition subs and amp for under $1000. The Shaker 1000 is WAAAAy over priced for what they give you. If that setup was $1000 instead of $1770 then I might actually get it. But I build custom fiberglass/carbon fiber sub boxes so I am excited to get my stang to see what I can get in the trunk. I will be posting my trunk system once I get it done. HERE is what I did with my Honda S2000 trunk. The stang wont be as extensive only because it is not going to be a show car.
Phil

OOO GTfreak I think I saw your install before (friend owns a supercharged s2000 so I get sent pics.

Thanks Pala for the complement. I was dumb off the bat too I got the Head Unit that was RCA and the Mach wasn't o well I ended up with a great system, untill the subs blew HAH!

Next system in the new ride will be all custom fiberglassed :)