Can you use 2001 Parts in a rear 5 lug Disk Convertion?

• Sponsors (?)

2001 GT/V6??

Front stuff will work except keep in mind the 96+ spindles are 8mm wider than 94-95

Out back it's a different story. The rear end of the 99+ stangs is wider that the 94-98 stangs. Maybe 1.25" or so. This will be way too wide for a Fox rear.

All the calipers 94+ out back are the same. Even cobra. The pads are just different as well as the mounting brackets.

Pretty sure you'll need 94-98 mounting brackets out back. The 2001 stuff is just too wide

Jamie,

From what Matt said before in a thread on the 8.8 rear ends, I gather the brackets and calipers and rotors are the same for 94-04. The axles are longer, and that is because the actual rear end housing is wider on the 99+ cars than the 86-98 cars. It should work. Also, the FRPP Cobra rear brake conversion kit is the same for the 94-04 cars, leading me to believe the brackets are the same. http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=6355

Here is the thread: http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=3123067#post3123067

Good luck!

Thomas

trbkrb said:
Jamie,

From what Matt said before in a thread on the 8.8 rear ends, I gather the brackets and calipers and rotors are the same for 94-04. The axles are longer, and that is because the actual rear end housing is wider on the 99+ cars than the 86-98 cars.

I just realized that i have a 99+ in my driveway so i went and took a peek. (car is new to me so it didn't dawn on me)

trbkrb is correct. The axle housing of the 99+ cars is a lot longer than the Fox ones i have been staring at for many years now. The mounting brackets on the end appear to be the same as the 94-98 cars including the other brake hardware. You'll just need new axles.

Thanks Thomas and Mike :nice:

Thats a load off my mind lol
I found the rear calipers for next to nothing, literally,
Im glad they will fit,

The axels I knew already they were too long so I thought id wait untill I find 94-98 ones,
Shouldn't be too hard to find,

Just getting all my bits together, Then its fun time painting it all and fitting it all :)

Got my fronts in the mail today, Cleaned them up real good, Im either gonna sandblast/glass bead them or paint them

I remember a while back "GroverDill" painted his front spindles gloss black,
Anyone got those pics or could Grover show us them again?
Im thinking of doing the same,

And Mike seeing as you have a 99+ in the driveway that helped a lot :)

Also while I have the spindles/hubs off the car how much of a PITA is it to change the wheel bearings?
Im guessing its the wise thing to do at this stage :D

Starscream88 said:
I remember a while back "GroverDill" painted his front spindles gloss black,
Anyone got those pics or could Grover show us them again?
Im thinking of doing the same,

I just used high temp black Brake Caliper paint for mine. I painted all the caliper brackets, spindles and such with it.

Jamie,

I sandblasted one set I sold on ebay to a guy doing a FFR Cobra, they turned out pretty good. He painted them right after he got them. As far as the bearings, are you talking about the fronts? The bearings are sealed in the hubs, and unless the donor has a LOT of miles, they should be fine. I read somewhere that the expected life of the sealed bearings is something like 200,000 miles or so. For the rears, if it has not been done, it might be a good idea to at least check them.

Thomas

Thomas I have no idea how many miles they have done,

Yes i'm talking about the front bearings,

You know the score with junk yards lol

Also anyone know the price of new dust shields from Ford?
Mine look a little "oxidised"

Or should I just paint them silver?

Such a little fuss pot arn't I ;)

Mine were from a 95 and they are still running fine. I hope to put a few thousand more miles on them, maybe 25-30,000 before I attempt to put ABS on the car. Then I will have to get new ABS hubs.

From what I've heard, the new dust shields run about $8 or so each. Not too bad IMO!
Mine were almost perfect, just a tiny bend at the bottom, so I reused them.

Thomas

They recommend only replacing them when they need it, for like $50 each side. Held on by the big nut, which has to be replaced also, and then they slip off. I saw somewhere how someone took one apart and repacked it, but I don't recall where.

Well Ill leave it for now,

If its not broke dont fit it as they say,

Still gotta source up some bits for the convertion
The axels,
The brake cables (What ones do I use for 01 Rear Calipers :confused:?)
The master Cylinder (Im also thinking of getting the booster too, Good move? or stick with stock?)
And new soft lines up front,
I "hope" thats all of it lol

You can probably use the 01 cables, but you would need the driveshaft tunnel bracket found on the 93-04 cars, and probably the FMS M2810A center cable. Otherwise use the center cable and two of the M2809A cables.

MC yes, booster, probably a good idea, although I'm using my stock one that was bought new 3 yrs ago. Do you have the 3 to 2 port conversion taken care of, and the adjustable PV? Ball joint spacer or new ball joints? Be sure to get the rear soft lines also, and then you can use adapters to mate the drum lines to the disc soft lines and not cut & flare the lines.

Oh now I need more stuff lol

I need the 2 to 3 port convertion
And an ajustable PV
I am going to need a whole set of new soft lines front a rear,
The place Im getting these brakes from wont sell the soft lines, They throw them away as there a liability,
Sounds fair enough to me, Just annoying as I need them :mad:

I checked Matts website and he sold out of that Ford PV block off nut, Anywhere else sell it?
Or could I use another nut? like from hardware store?

As for the ball joint spacer Ill just use a stack of washers, hopefully I can get it within the .330 specs

Yeah, it is the little things that add up. And I forgot about the plug. Any Ford Motorsports deal should have them. I do recall seeing somewhere a 5 piece brake line kit, I think stainless steel.... but it was over $200! My local place won't sell a used MC for that same reason.... but I have purchased the brake lines from them before.... I guess you just have to get the right counterperson. Autozone has the 94-04 caliper lines for $15 each, and the center one for a 87-93 for $24. For the front, you might just go with stainless steel.