Roush Can't Decide 03/04 Cobra 00-03 Saleen SC281

I was wondering what you guys think. I have close to 30,000 to spend and I am not sure what to get. I was thinking a 03/04 Cobra. But I saw a 03 saleen today that had 14k and they were asking 29,000 for it. But what I want to kknow is of the saleen motor is the same as the cobra they look the same and have basically the same spec's except the trannt which is a 5 speed. Because If i did get a saleen I would like to get it to push between 500-600hp and I didn't know if that is possible. Well anyways you guys opinions would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I have owned both. I currently own an 02 S281 SC and the engine is essentially a GT w/ the blower. The cobra engine is built to withstand abuse and higher levels of h/p. It is awesome. You see guys buying the whole car sometimes in the salvage auctions just so they can pull out that engine. I would also agree with 00s281sc368, it would be nice to have the best of both worlds w/ the cobra engine and the looks of a Saleen. Periodically you may see the 03-04 Cobra Saleens for sale, but with only 10 or so made each year, they're pretty hard to find.

Downside to the Cobra can be suspension/handling, seats and relatively place-jane looks. The cobra broke loose on me a couple times taking turns while accelerating, barely ever happens in the Saleen. You can always lower the Cobra with some aftermarket springs to cut down on body roll. The racecraft suspension on the Saleen really gives it the stiff race-car feel and great cornering, one of it's biggest selling-features if you ask me.

The seats in the Cobra are a friggin joke. If you take the turns too hard, you will end up either on the passenger side or in the back seat. The newer models have those two-tone suede seats that appear to have more lumbar support. I had a 96' and it just had GT seats with leather. When I went with the Saleen, I purposely sought the Recaro upgrade for that very reason.

The hoods on the 281sc's are composite. Not too sure about the 03-04 cobras. My car only has 13k miles and the thing is already cracking. Also, the latch is a piece of junk and cracking. Looks like my wing and side skirts are also coming loose (held on by Saleen's professionally designed double-sided tape, also available at home depot for $1.99).

Don't get me wrong, the Saleen is one awesome car. I truly enjoy driving it, and it has a more complete all-around high performance sports car feel. It's got the suspension, the power, the interior upgrades, and definitely the looks.... Little things about the Cobra really stand out though, like the cloth top on the verts, the painted mirrors, and the leather shift boot instead of the vinyl p.o.s. in the Saleens (left over from the GT, with which the car came equipped when it was born at the Ford factory). I upgraded mine to leather with blue piping and blue stiching. way better.

Both cars get props, but the Saleen gets more looks. You just have to remember, as far as power, the Cobra is the king of the jungle in Mustang world unless you go for an s351 or s281-E (big price jump either way, normally).

One interesting thing I noticed is that most Saleen owners seem to like and admire the Cobra's. I don't think it goes vice-versa. The svt forums consistently bash Saleens as "nice cars, if you like bodykits and stickers...." I have to laugh at this, since obviously the car is so much more than that. Ultimately, they both have a lot to offer, depends on your taste.

Anyways, hope some of this helps. Either way, with the models and years you are looking at, you'll soon have a bad ass car for the right price...

Reading your post, I guess you didn't realize that the pre '05 Saleen S281s are all 2V motors (including the S281Es). Cobras and S281s do not have the same motor. Cobras have 4V DOHC motors ('03-'04 S/C), S281s have 2V SOHC motors (stock GT motors). The only way you could get a 4V DOHC S281 is to special order a Cobra/Saleen conversion. But back to your question, if you want an attention getter with good handling and decent power, get the Saleen. If you want power with the potential of even MORE power, get the Cobra. I am not saying that there is no power potential for the 2V, just that the 4V has more. I have a few Saleens and my shop just got done tuning a KB equipped '03 Cobra to the tune of 545 RWHP on a safe 11.9-to-1 A/F on 91 octane California pump gas and all I can say after taking it out for a test drive is I want an '03-'04 Cobra. (I still love my Saleens though).

I witnessed an 03 Anniversary Cobra a little while back.....it had a whipple and a KB boosta a pump and 72lb injectors. This was at one of the "George Bush" conservative dyno tuners in the area and it made 699 rwhp. Only other mod was a cold air kit.

marcus95 said:
I witnessed an 03 Anniversary Cobra a little while back.....it had a whipple and a KB boosta a pump and 72lb injectors. This was at one of the "George Bush" conservative dyno tuners in the area and it made 699 rwhp. Only other mod was a cold air kit.

.....699rwhp, huh,that's childs' play!!!!!!
Us dinosaur owners have to show them what's up......SCOTT, we need the animal to make a dyno pull...what was it: 1200hp on the juice??

Bottom line.

If you want attention and have people give you the thumbs up all the time and answer coutless questions every time you pull up to top off the tank then get the Saleen.

If you have owned a 400 rwhp car in the past and are seriously into mods and want to have the potential to easily obtain 600 rwhp on the stock block then get the Cobra. You won't get the attention that you would with a Saleen.
If you buy the Saleen and you can't get enough speed outa it as long as you don't alter it too much and save all of the stock parts you can always sell it and find a cobra to quench your needs. If you don't buy the Saleen you will spend every day with the Cobra wondering what it would be like to own a Saleen.

my 2 cents

Go for the Saleen. Granted, as others have stated, that Cobra has a better motor but really, you can get great power out of a Saleen 2v as well. Cobras as certainly more dime a dozen cars where as the Saleen I can't go a day without getting at least 2-3 compliments, thumbs up, etc. The Saleen is certainly more flashy if you like that sort of thing. Like Justin said, look for the Cobra/Saleen and get both!

Cobra + Street racing+ Bland looks + tons of Hp = quickly going to jail, going broke trying to get out, and you still have a common car.

Saleen + street racing + gorgeous styling + enough HP = quickly going to jail, but looking good while being arrested, then having the cops admire your car, and talk to their buddies about arresting a guy in a Saleen one time...

If you are looking to go fast, go on the track no matter what you buy. The higher the HP you get, the bigger the headache and hole in your pocket!

Either way either of these cars move! I would rather have something more rare and will likely be a collector someday.

I wou

FASN8N said:

I agree. For a guy that wants a Terminator and Saleen, that's the best of both worlds and a killer price at 44K. The guy does look like he's a little bit uptight though. When you list a car on a messageboard, especially one like SVT Performance, you just have to be prepared with getting the tire kickers and kids that ask..."how fast does it go?"
It's defi a sweet ride. If he wants only serious offers he should list it on Hemmings or some other old man site like the ones I frequent.:nice:

marcus95 said:
I agree. For a guy that wants a Terminator and Saleen, that's the best of both worlds and a killer price at 44K. The guy does look like he's a little bit uptight though. When you list a car on a messageboard, especially one like SVT Performance, you just have to be prepared with getting the tire kickers and kids that ask..."how fast does it go?"
It's defi a sweet ride. If he wants only serious offers he should list it on Hemmings or some other old man site like the ones I frequent.:nice:

I can understand his frustration dealing with idiots. I remember when I was selling my S351 and the number of drones I had to deal with who would make offers $10k-$15k less than what I was asking, ask for test drives, or ask stupid questions. If you have the money, put it on the table and make the deal, but don't waste someone's time.