Can't get grip at the track-bunch of questions

swl987

May 6, 2004
Cleveland,Oh
I don't want to beef up the rear end yet so I think I'm just going to get some drag radials and put them on my stock 17" bullit wheels and only use them at the track. I don't go that often so I don't care if they don't last very long. I just want to get the stickiest ones. Which ones? How wide of a tire can you put on the stock wheels? Will drag radial that are'nt to wide because of the bullit wheel width be good enough to get some traction? I have about 400 at the wheels with 4:10 gears. I'm a little concerced with how tall of a tire I can get also because I'm redlining at the traps with my current wheels in my sig. Any answers are greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I almost forgot. What about trap speed? Will a 275/40/17 be tall enough with 4:10 gears at about 110 mph?

Yeah, they should be fine for 110mph w/4.10's. They should be roughly 26" tall, stock tire height. I had 275/40/17 Nitto dr's last year and I was trapping just under 112mph w/4.10's @ ~6200rpm. I run a 255/60/15 now, which is 27" tall, and I have trapped 114.xx @ ~6100 rpm.

You will be at the very top of your rpm with 26 in tall tires. IF you never want to go faster than buy the 26 in mickeys and put them on stock wheels. It might be time to get serious and get a set of big and littles, move the batt to the trunk and start building a quality rear susp.

Thanks, I was actually writing my last post when you posted your first reply. Summit's website said the minimum recommended size was 9", but if it is a pretty common thing to do great. That will save me some money on wheels. Does anybody know where to get MTs' cheap?

Personally i wouldnt do it. Yes you can fit a 275 Street tire, on a stock wheel, however the drag radials such as the BF's, MT's (with the exception of nitto's) tend to run wider than regular street tires in the same size.

I would get a 255 or 265 just to be on the safe side...

And as far as stickiness goes, I have heard from most everyone that the MT's are the way to go. I had the BF's for a while, wasent real impressed, yes they were sticky but they only lasted about 1500 miles. Most people say the MT's are a step above the BF's...

Personally i wouldnt do it. Yes you can fit a 275 Street tire, on a stock wheel, however the drag radials such as the BF's, MT's (with the exception of nitto's) tend to run wider than regular street tires in the same size.

I would get a 255 or 265 just to be on the safe side...

And as far as stickiness goes, I have heard from most everyone that the MT's are the way to go. I had the BF's for a while, wasent real impressed, yes they were sticky but they only lasted about 1500 miles. Most people say the MT's are a step above the BF's...

They don't make them in that size. I wish I could get a 265.

With 400hp on tap and 4.10 gears, 28in tall tires are not too much. Sure you will leave a bit on the table rpm wise but it will give you LOTS of room to grow and better your combo. If you don't want to move up in power a 3.73 gear swap and stay with the 26 in tall tires. I don't think your going to find a quality 27in skinny enough to fit the stock wheel properly.

You could always buy a cheap pair of 15x8 wheels w/5.5" backspacing and run the 255/60/15 ET street radials, they are 27" tall. They hook pretty good for me. I've only made a dozen or so passes on them so far and my 60's have been consistently in the low 1.7x range.