Can't Get Head off! Quick..Help!

TheUser

Jul 25, 2003
Springfield, MO
trying to get pass. side head off and it won't budge. I pulled the header off and i've tried to pry it (I was careful) between the lower intake and edge of head. I have a powerdyne s/c, so the bracket is in front of the head...try to pry between those as well. I tried to hit what little edge of the head that's exposed on the side of the bracket w/ a piece of wood and hammer, but that had no effect. Any quick Ideas or suggestions? :shrug:

If i can't figure it out soon, i guess that s/c bracket will have to come off, but i'd really like to leave as much in tact as possible.

• Sponsors (?)

SwAmPf0x said:
You have removed the lower intake right? sounds like you havent by that statement
No, I haven't. The manual says that under "both cyclinder heads," so I figured that's only if you're removing both of them. I guess that was just wishful thinking....now I feel like a moron. So I guess the intake has to come off....Thanks for pointing that out!

:rlaugh: Sorry, I've done some stuff like that too, thanks for the laugh :flag:

Just get ready, when you get the heads off they're heavy (about 50#s each). Not too heavy, but if you're leaning over much, it can make them feel like 100#s.

When I was pulling the driver's side head for my first time, I forgot to unbolt the ground that goes to the front of the head, so I had to balance the head between one hand and the shock tower while I stretched to reach a ratchet.

Cammed90Notch said:

Just get ready, when you get the heads off they're heavy (about 50#s each). Not too heavy, but if you're leaning over much, it can make them feel like 100#s.

When I was pulling the driver's side head for my first time, I forgot to unbolt the ground that goes to the front of the head, so I had to balance the head between one hand and the shock tower while I stretched to reach a ratchet.
NO JOKE THEY WEIGH A TON!!!!!!!! ESP WHEN YOUR BY YOURSELF TRYING TO GET THEM OFF WHEN THEVE BEEN THERE FOR 100K MILES AND 15 YEARS!!!

Once all the other stuff is off, they can still be right tight. I usually pad the end of a pry bar with a rag, and insert it into one of the intake ports -- then once you've got it wedged in there, give the pry bar a good smack with your hand. That usually breaks them free without prying against anything that might break.

Cammed90Notch said:

haha no **** their heavy, an it's really a pita how you have to lean over an the them off blah i put a dent on the top of my drivers fender cause i didn't have a good hold on the head an it slipped.

I've done that with the ground wire too mine was on the back of the head though an i was pullin, i'm like WTF why can't i get this damn thing off here.