Cant seem to get this overheating problem fixed

S&B

I hate my CT. :(
10 Year Member
Dec 18, 2005
Cheesehead
well, as it says, I know last year I went through this same thing. I have burped the system and tried everything I think I can. Here are the symptoms.
the car heats up and can sit parked at 190-200 but when i drive it, slowly creeps up to 210-220 and will not come down then when I park it just keeps climbing.

I have a 180 thermostat that is new it flows through the radiotor great when open.

I do not have the plastic pannels that direct the air over the radiator I through those out and ordered new ones today. but I can see that as being the whole problem.

Do you guys think I should scrap this radiator and go with a new one? I use a 95 5.0 electric fan with a DCC controler?

ugg I really hate this car

DSCF40041.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

yeah it is staying on, I just fabed up a dodge intrepid dual fan setup, the only thing confusing is that there are a green and a yellow ( and black ground) going to each fan, and when I hook up the power to each individually the fans spin at about the same speed, should I join the yellow and green wire together and then add the power? i dont want to blow the motors thats the only reason I ask?

is there any way to make sure there is no air in the coolant system? I have jacked the car up and let it run and all that stuff but i just want to make sure im not leaving any air in the system?

Your bleeding method is as good as any. If you had the system really empty, I crack the ECT to let air purge from there.

The Intrepid fans will probably require a filter. Their little motors have such a high start up draw that the controller can see this as a short to ground.

What generation of fan do you have? They are powered different.

i have a 2001 fan, and a DCC controler, I have a relay running of the dcc controler for my old pusher fan so Im going to use the wires i had running to that fan as my power. Again that one will run off a relay triggered by the DCC
I hope these fans will pull more air than the 95 5.0?

can you show me a picture of the ECT ? i dunno if i have one, is that were the sending unit bolts into the coolant going to the heater?

i have the relay trigger hooked to the 12V output of the dCC so when the main fan turns on it trips the relay to kick the other fan on.

I see what they did there, do you think that my DCC controler is not pumping out enough amps to spin my fan at the right speed???

I dunno, in that picture it looks like they joined the yellow and green together

i think i found the problem the Gawd DAM DCC CONTROLER!!!!

on the 12amp charger the fans really move, i put them on the car and it hits 180 and the fans are moving half speed!!!

WTF that means that the 95 5.0 fan was fine i just need to try a toggle switch and if that solves the problem i am going to be pissed 2 years fing with this damn cooling system and all along it was the dcc not giving the right amperage!!

Once again, you don't understand how PWM works. There is not a solid 12V output. Do not connect anything to the controller output except your lead to your fan's high speed terminal.

Have you done any troubleshooting/testing on the I/O voltage with your controller? What is your target temperature?

okay here is the deal, once i hook my fan up to a switch i have NO MORE OVERHEATING PROBLEM, when I do hook it up it over heats.

FOR SALE one DCC controler 60A

I would like to use the controler but to be honest it has caused me problems since day one, maybe its user error but for some reason I could never get that thing to work, the unit turns on great at 180 it just doesnt up the juice to the fans