Canton 7 Qt. pan and dipstick not reading oil correctly?

VibrantRedGT

"STANGNET'S PENGUIN SMACKER"
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Boca Raton, Florida
This is driving me nuts. I put 7 qts in but the dipstick is on the "Add" line. The dipstick itself is as long as the dipstick housing so its not all the way down in the pan. Does anyone else have this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

for one, a 7qt pan doesn't usually count for the oil filter. Two, i have to put like 8.5 quarts in mine till the dipstick says full... i usually just put in 8. Also when your messing with it has the engine been running? I notice a huge difference if the engine had been running recently. Takes a little for the oil to get back down...

Joe, if you want, shoot Rick91Gt a PM - he uses those pans a lot IIRC, and knows the ins and outs. He is a super nice guy too.

I emailed Canton about this but haven't heard back from them yet.

The dipstick housing bolts to the pan up high. If the dipstick is the same length its not sitting at the bottom of the pan. Maybe I'm the dipstick because I don't understand how it can read oil correctly like this.

95CobraMike said:
i have one of these too, but i have no idea why it would read low

Did yours come with the dipstick guide that goes through the block, or just the dipstick itself?

The dipstick and housing came with the motor but not installed or anything. The instructions on it said to bolt the 1/2 inch adapter to the pan. Then bolt the dipstick housing to that adapter with the line nut (already attached). It does not go through the block. Even if it did the dipstick and housing are still the same size. I wouldn't think the housing would go all the way to the bottom of the pan. Hopefully I'm the dispstick in this case.

I have ran 7 before...after reading up from some exp racers and reading that they run 5-6...thats what I went with.
To much oil sloshin on the crank, but with a nice pan/pickup running 7 isnt a issue, I guess more pref.

Troy you run 8?