Car at the track, first time, help!

mltdwn12

May 17, 2006
Peoria, AZ
OK, took my 06 Roush to the track for the first time yesterday. Only change to the car was JLT cold air kit. The track, Speedworld here in Phoenix, had just redone the concrete out 400 feet and the track was slick according to folks who race the on a regular basis. So I'm sure that was part of the problem.

I tried launching several ways, riding the clutch out and then steppng on it. Best 60' was a 2.21. Soon as I banged 2nd, I would be sideways and spinning again. If I would ease up on the shift to 2nd it wouldn't get sideways but I could still spin the tires. Anyway, I was disappointed that the best run was a 14.21 at 100 mph.

Any suggestions? I know some sticky tires would help as well as better track conditions. I let the tires down to 30 pounds and that seem to make it worse!

View attachment 416733

Craig

• Sponsors (?)

First off, let me say nice ride.. Love the white.

I'd like to see some video if possible. Have a couple questions for you to answer:

1. What was your pre race method - burnout from the box, dry burnout, dry hop etc.
2. forget about the 400 foot mark, what happened in the first 60 to 100 feet? 1st gear just a smoke show or what?

30lbs of air pressure is not a significant adjustment in tire air. 15 to 20lbs is. Just make sure you can air up for the ride home. That tactic provides you two things, a softer tire during weight transfer and a wider traction width (larger contact patch to the pavement). Try pulling a little more air next time.

The car will easily make it into the 13 sec range on stock tires. Just have to adjust the driving a bit.

I stay completely out of the bleach box, drive around it, not through it. In stock form I would do a dry 5 second burnout and then dry hop the car once before getting to the line. Street tired cars shouldn't be in the bleach box at all. Water catches in the treads and you end up spinning to half track.

with the above method I could launch the car at 3000rpm, feathering the clutch, and getting just the slightest bit of tires spin.

Best I did with zero upgrades was 13.84 at 101mph.

A couple of guys got video, they're going to send it to me. As for procedure, I'd drive around the water, back up a little and bring it up to about 3000 rpm and slide the clutch to get the tires spinning. I'd just drive it the line spinning them. I use to race a lot with an automatic and line lock with slicks. Having a 5 speed and street tires is a bit of a learning curve :D I might go back out in a couple of weeks when the track gets some more rubber down, maybe a bigger meet when they do some track prep. I need to cut some off of that 60', but the spinning in second was trying as well, I think only one round I didn't have to lift after shifting to second :shrug: It was a fun day though! We had about 4 or 5 Mustangs out with our group of 22 cars.

From what info you have, it seems traction is clearly your biggest enemy. The new surface with lack of rubber buildup hurts for sure, but should affect alot of the cars across the board(esp those with street tires). Curious to know what other people were running...same, faster, slower???? If you suffered along with many others, it is track condition.
BTW...Sweet ride man!!!!!