car dies then ten minutes later is fine?

ronstang94

May 10, 2007
Phx, AZ
The car has done it a few times. It will be running fine, and then start to run extremely rough. Sounds like its running on 2 or 3 cylinders, very sporadic. backfiring. Not even enough power to get me out of the intersection. Pumping the pedal doesnt raise the rpms at all. Then it dies all togeather. Push the car to safety. try to start it, and nothing, or maybe 2 cylinders for 1 second. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and it starts fine. :shrug:

My first guess is vaccuum lock.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

that happened with mine a couple summers ago, not sure the name of the exact part, but it is in the distributor. i replaced mine with an msd unit and never had the issue come back. i will try to find the exact part that fail and let you know

x3 on the PIP sensor in the dizzy. I just battled that exact same problem and got it fixed. Word to the wise, either go to Ford or Napa, don't bother with Autozone or Advance on that part unless you enjoy pressing off dizzy gears!

x3 on the PIP sensor in the dizzy. I just battled that exact same problem and got it fixed. Word to the wise, either go to Ford or Napa, don't bother with Autozone or Advance on that part unless you enjoy pressing off dizzy gears!

Ya, I already gave up on autozone for other reasons. lol. Thanks for the help. Just in a few hours too. :SNSign:

They sell just the PIP sensor? or do I need a whole new dizzy? any idea on cost?

oh, and what I meant to say before was "vapor lock". not that it matters though.

Same recent issue here....Not fun when it happens on the highway. Place tried selling me the whole distributor. Is the PIP for the 94-95 302 the same as the 95-97 351???? Both distributors have the same round plug.

"PIP PIP Horray"

TFI is random non starting....PIP tends to shut the car off when it gets warm. Hence the 10 Min. and the car starts no prob.

Just what ive noticed...was even worse on the older fords when the TFI was on the Dizzy. Ive had random no starts that lasted 30-45 min.

Gotta change it with the highest quality part possible. The car will choose to shut off at the damndest times....like in rush hor traffic when the light turns green. Then you have to wait 10 min. and the idiots behind you are too stupid to realize your hazards mean that you're not moving and they're too dumb to go around you so like 10 cars pile up behind you. :nonono:

Yeah get it fixed ASAP