Car Dies While Driving (Help!) TFI?

bigred2k

Aug 10, 2007
1995 Mustang GT 43k miles

After searching the net my symptoms sound EXACTLY like a TFI module problem.

After anywhere between 10-30 minutes of driving my voltmeter on the dash will start "bouncing" back and forth slightly and I can see that there is voltage irregularities by looking at a voltmeter that is mounted in my trunk.

After awhile of this erratic behavior the car will just die. Like it loses power completely. Normally it doesnt start back up immediately but requires anywhere between 5-10 minutes then it will start up and run find again.

I stumbled across this site (www DOT coolcats DOT net/tech/troubleshooting/tfi.html) and it shows only the following years effected by the tfi recall

1984-89 Mustang/Capri (2.3L)
1984-86 Mustang SVO TC (2.3L)
1984-86 Mustang/Capri (2.3L)
1984-85 Mustang/Capri (3.8L)
1984-94 Mustang/Capri HO (5.0L)

It should be noted that I have checked the alternator and battery and both are delivering the correct voltage.-

Can anyone offer any insight? I would GREATLY appreciate it as I just started a new job and getting to work reliably and on time is important to me right now.

• Sponsors (?)

Parts stores tests TFI modules for free so having them test it is not a problem (need a 5.5 socket to remove and it's under the air box on pass side). Have them test it a few times so it heats up. If it passes ( put back and don't forget to put more dielectric or TFI grease on the back side) I would be inclined to say the PIP Stator also called the Halls Effect inside the distributer is going out. Easy fix is to buy a whole new dist., the PIP/Halls effect it self is cheap it's removing the bearing of the dizzy with out breaking it to get to the PIP is the problem (needs to be press on and off). People have been successful in removing the bearing but most have ended up having to replace the dizzy having trying. The PIP dieing is a very common problem on our cars (so is the harmonic balancer just so you know [wobbles and rubber hanging out the back=bad hub]). Good luck.

Our cars were not part of the Recall (this is why we have remote TFI's. A fox TFI is on the dizzy itself).

I would not get tunnel vision. The voltage going all over is a symptom of another issue.

Start with getting codes. When it cranks but will not start, look for spark and injector pulsing. If you have either (but it won't start) the PIP is ok. If you have both, the TFI and PIP are both ok.

Good luck.

Just to clarify the voltage isn't fluctuating by a large degree but it is enough to see notice able "ticking" on the voltmeter. When looking at a digital LED voltmeter in my trunk I can see that every now and then there will be a spike (or drop) of about half a volt for a split second.

Anyhow I ordered a code reader. Hopefully the weather stays cool enough that I wont have problems getting to work next week.

All my symptoms seem like its is a PIP/TFI/Ignition Coil issue