Car does not start ocassionally?? Starter?

Cobra1894

Oct 7, 2003
Broken Arrow, OK
Lately my car has not been starting. I have power but when I go to start it evrery other time I dont even get a click. If I keep at it it eventually starts. Sometimes it takes 2-5 times other times it takes 10-20 times. I believe its the starter. Your thoughts please.

• Sponsors (?)

Now when the starter does go, it turns the engine over no problem? I mean it doesn't sound like a starter problem, if it finally goes no problem. The problem sounds like the starter solenoid not getting enough power from the ignition switch. You checked you check for loose connection's at the battery, and realy?

yep, I like the bad power cable connection idea. Grounds are especially finicky. THey get a tiny film of crap between them and each time cranking breaks through the crap a little bit till it starts.

You could make sure the car is in neurtral, e-brake on, etc (safety precautions) and remove the slide-on terminal on the solenoid. Put this to the battery lug on the solenoid and see if it cranks. If so, it is a starter interlock circuit issue. If not, look further downstream (power connection or feed issue).

Good luck.

When the starter actually does crank over it does so fine. I just installed a crane Hi6 ing. Could this be the source of the problem? Personally I am leaning toward the relay switch and plan to start there. Could it be ther ing switch in the column? Thanks for the help.

The symptoms you describe match exactly with a bad starter.

1. Verify your starter solenoid is receiving 12vdc from the key switch.
2. Verify you have 12 volts on the output of the starter solenoid.

if yes to 1 and 2 then it is most likely a bad starter. Opens and near opens do not heal themselves like you describe. They tend to degrade until they no longer work.

The brushes in the starter are probably near as short as they can go and are intermittently making contact. Jack the car up and bang on the starter with a dead blow hammer. I bet it starts up more frequently.

I have replaced two starters on my 93 in the last 4 years. Both had the same symptoms you describe. Both would work after a quick blow with a hammer.

Takes about 30 minutes to replace.

my nephew recently went through a no start/grinding while cranking issue.
His actually turned out to be the start mounting bolts.
One of the bolts fell all the way out and the other was about 1/3 of the way out. the starter would hit just right and start the car maybe 1 in 5 times sometimes 1 in 10. it was random.
I don't think that is your issue but it is something to check.

Bill

Mine had the same thing, except for it didnt start at all, problem was the starter solenoid, i cleaned the contacts and crossed the 2 studs with a screwdriver seems like it was sticking inside and when i jumped it it loosened up inside or something but now it works normal.

Well once I got the stripped top starter bolt out..THat sucked... I noticed that the Selenoid had came loose from the housing. I dont know how it continued to work for the couple weeks I drove it like this. Thanks for the help in the above post.

Note: The craftsman sockets for stripped nuts and bolts works great.

mine does that too...itll start right up usually, but every once in a while in a completely awkward moment it just clicks....i think it is that starter thing on the driver side fender (i know the name i just cant place it right now lol)
It has a crack in the plastic and it is as if it doesnt get a good power connection because if you jump the battery it fires right up almost with no "turning over" first.

iwashmycar said:
mine does that too...itll start right up usually, but every once in a while in a completely awkward moment it just clicks....i think it is that starter thing on the driver side fender (i know the name i just cant place it right now lol)
It has a crack in the plastic and it is as if it doesnt get a good power connection because if you jump the battery it fires right up almost with no "turning over" first.

That is your solenoid mounted on the d/s fender.

My selinoid was loose from the starter, So I replaced the starter. I come to find out later that the problem is the Clutch switch. Its still happens to me if I press the clutch in to hard before starting. I have to let off about 1/4" to get it to start.

Cobra1894 said:
My selinoid was loose from the starter, So I replaced the starter. I come to find out later that the problem is the Clutch switch. Its still happens to me if I press the clutch in to hard before starting. I have to let off about 1/4" to get it to start.
Glad to hear you got it fixed (so you know the issue atleast). The info in posts 2 and 3 would have been leading in diagnosing it a little cleaner (the clutch switch is part of the starter interlock circuit).

Thanks for posting the fix - that will really help future searchers in your position!