car has been sitting for 6 months....

gotchopsticks

Sep 4, 2004
hey guys, im about to return to the states after a 6 month deployment and am getting everything in line for removing my car from storage. im just curious about any steps i should take for getting her running after sitting for 6 months. i've had a friend start and run the engine a few times a month, so im thinking the battery will be charged still, and im planning an oil change of course, the Stabil in the gas is probably close to bad, so a fresh tank of 93 octane to flush the system and maybe a fuel system cleaner as well. new tires will be on order, and a full wash/wax. its a 2002 with 89,000 miles, to my knowledge the wheel bearings and diff still have the original lubricants, should probably change those with fresh fluids right? no issues with the performance, had new plugs about 20k ago and coolant flush less than a year ago. im sure theres much i am missing, so thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Six months is nothing. Drive it easy for the first 5 miles, then drive "normally" until the tank is nearly empty then refill with fresh 93. It would have been better if you'd just left the car to sit for 6 mos without being started. Those kinds of starts just load the crankcase and exhaust with water vapor which condenses into water. This can lead to acidic deposits in the oil and sludging not to mention "accelerated decrepitude" of the exhaust components including the O2 sensors. Change the oil after a 20 mile ride...

You shouldn't need to worry about diff or trans lubes, coolant, plugs etc.

1st of all, thank you for your service! Second, Trinity_gt nailed it... Drive it a bit, then change the oil. You should be fine, just make sure it warms up well before you drive it and take it slow for the 1st few miles... If you can, hit the freeway or highway for a good 20 minute cruise, then head back and do the oil.

Good luck!