Car has no low end torque after PI swap

97PIswapGT

Feb 23, 2009
I recently did a PI swap on my 1997 GT, took it to the track and could not run below a 15.7. Before the swap I ran a 14.6 at best. It feels like the car has no power in the low end.
atm im running a 89 tune for the NPI motor, would this make it run bad with the PI parts?

• Sponsors (?)

I recently did a PI swap on my 1997 GT, took it to the track and could not run below a 15.7. Before the swap I ran a 14.6 at best. It feels like the car has no power in the low end.
atm im running a 89 tune for the NPI motor, would this make it run bad with the PI parts?

Did you get the ECT sensor hole tapped and installed ? and are you using the 97 MAF ?

You probably just need a tune unless you have something else going on ? is your check engine light on ?

Did you get the ECT sensor hole tapped and installed ? and are you using the 97 MAF ?

You probably just need a tune unless you have something else going on ? is your check engine light on ?

yes and yes, the check engine light is throwing one of the O2 codes because I didnt put on MIL eliminators when I switched to a O/R midpipe, the light never stays on it comes on once and a while and goes off.

X2

I had to edit this and ask. Why if the vehicle was running so bad would take it to the track and race it?

I checked the timing none of the valves hit. The car doesnt feel like its running bad.
Ill just try to get it dyno tuned this week.

You're running 89 octane after the headswap? Is it pinging?

Mine would ping like an MF if I didn't feed it 93 after the headswap. I'm sure you'd be hearing the detonation if this were the case, though.

I want to see your time slip for the 4banger.... I got a 91' 4cyl that could not beat it's self out of a wet paper bag.

I haven't loaded the timeslip but here's a video of that 12.26 pass: P1010046.flv video by bhuff66062 - Photobucket

I enjoyed this race a lot more, though it wasn't my fastest. You can definately hear it is a 4cyl in this video.
P1010075.flv video by bhuff66062 - Photobucket

I guess if you really want, I could upload the timeslip, but I always thought the video was better evidence and more fun to look at. :shrug:

Did you do a full pi swap (heads/cams/intake) or just the cams/intake? Car is holding idle with no problems? Is your coolant level staying full?

How long has it been since the swap? When I first did my pi cam swap my car was lacking power for the first bit, though eventually relearned everything and picked everything back up.

I haven't loaded the timeslip but here's a video of that 12.26 pass: P1010046.flv video by bhuff66062 - Photobucket

I enjoyed this race a lot more, though it wasn't my fastest. You can definately hear it is a 4cyl in this video.
P1010075.flv video by bhuff66062 - Photobucket

I guess if you really want, I could upload the timeslip, but I always thought the video was better evidence and more fun to look at. :shrug:

Ok, now you have peaked my interest. :nice: No way the car is stock so maybe when you get the chance PM me with what you have. I considered trying to make this 4 cyl I have fast as a project but have not really put much thought in it.