Car Hesitates under WOT

97GTSTANG

Founding Member
May 25, 2000
Virginia
Under WOT, my car hesitates, like its trying to gasp for air, then i can smell coolant from the vents. I have the upgraded intake so please dont tell me my intake has a crack, the heater core was replaced a few months ago. Any suggetsions on what it could be?

• Sponsors (?)

I am not loosing any coolant, no check engine light, just a faint smell of coolant. Under WOT it feels like the car is gasping for air and it causes hesitation. mostly over 3K RPM, under that its fine.

thanks for the advice, i am getting the plugs changed to 764's tomorrow, i will have the intake checked for leakage. I was just thinking that maybe when the heatercore went back a few months ago some of the coolant went inside the plug area and is still there. so i will have it all cleaned out and see how that goes

I see you have the Steeda T/A. I thought there were issues with the 99+ (PI motors) having drivability issues with it set too far advanced? It used to be posted on Steeda's web site under the T/A - maybe under the install instructions? Worth checking into IMO.

Found it. Here it is...
"Naturally Aspirated (no Supercharger or Nitrous) GT or Cobra: 14° to 16°
Note: 1999 GT's may experience some "bucking" during part-throttle operation if the timing is advanced above 13°. This will not affect full throttle performance. "

http://www.steeda.com/instructions/timing_adjuster.htm