car idle is off after replacing the battery???

dmaxstang

Jul 29, 2005
dallas
I replaced the battery last week because it had died completely. After changing it out, the idle is way off. For example, coming to a stop, when the revs are coming down the car nearly dies or does die. It is very irritating. Is this a common issue and the computer needs to be reflashed or something else? thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

It needs to re-learn the idle settings. Idle it for like 10 minutes without touching any pedals, then another few with the a/c on without touching any pedals

What jpplaw posted is correct, but it should also be stated the concern is aggravated by high mileage with a worn and/or excessively dirty throttle body.

The idle strategy will eventually cure itself, but if you are impatient you can try cleaning the throttle body.

I replaced the battery last week because it had died completely. After changing it out, the idle is way off. For example, coming to a stop, when the revs are coming down the car nearly dies or does die. It is very irritating. Is this a common issue and the computer needs to be reflashed or something else? thanks,
this is what happened to me and yes the idle was low and car died.. in reading up about the ecu unit is suppose to "relearn" the driving habits ..in my case as posted earlier the code that indicates this is p506 (?) and pointed towards the throttle body which cleaning seems to have solved problem

this is what happened to me and yes the idle was low and car died.. in reading up about the ecu unit is suppose to "relearn" the driving habits ..in my case as posted earlier the code that indicates this is p506 (?) and pointed towards the throttle body which cleaning seems to have solved problem

It's a 7 year old thread. I'm hoping he's resolved the issue by now. :p