Car is fianally on the road...but i have some questions...

hoss331stang

Jan 17, 2003
Williamston SC
Ok, my mods are in the sig.....and let me tell you, this thing is mean.....i don't know what kind of power its putting out, but it feels fast enough for me.....a whole lot different than it used to be.....But i have a problem...My car still has the stock 3.08 gears in it, i just found that out the other day, i thought it had 3.55's but after looking into the case they are stock 3.08's. Also, my clutches on my trac-loc are gone......i only have one wheel peel right now.... :mad: (no traction at all)

The question is, if i added some 3.73's, with a rebuilt trac-loc, should i feel a big difference....i mean think about it.......it has 3.08's!! My cam..well.....actually everything in the motor calls for 3.55 gears and up to run well....Should these gears wake it up and put it in its powerband? or will it not make that much of a difference? Any help is appeciated... :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Think about doing a T'Bird 87-88 Turbo Coupe rear end. Auto TC's had 3.73 trac lock & manual had 3.55 trac lock. Disk brakes were a part of the package. The cost of the TC rear end and doing the brake conversion could be less than buying gears and having a shop install them.

jrichker said:
Think about doing a T'Bird 87-88 Turbo Coupe rear end. Auto TC's had 3.73 trac lock & manual had 3.55 trac lock. Disk brakes were a part of the package. The cost of the TC rear end and doing the brake conversion could be less than buying gears and having a shop install them.
I second that. But I also want to point out that there are some extra cost things you will have to buy to install the TC rear. I am in the process of doing this swap in my car right now. I converted my TC rear to the shorter mustang length so there was some extra work there but the cost is the same. I paid $125 for the 3.73 rear from the boneyard. So far I have spent about $250 for all the stuff I need to make the TC disc brakes work on the Mustang including Master cylinder, E-brake cables, brake lines and fittings, new pads and rotors, etc. I figure all in all the swap will cost me about $400 which is about the same as the cost of gears and installation probably, but I will also have disc brakes when its done. If you wanted to swap your brakes and axles from your old rear, you could get away with just the cost of the TC rear.