Car Is Going For Clear Bra Today

First time will have had a clear bra on the car. We're doing the mirrors, front bumper, lower part of hood, and on the back of the car where the tires can kick up rocks on the body.

Anyone have any special tips or anything on for care? In initial conversations the shop said you just wax it and everything just like paint. I find it hard to believe that would even do anything to it. input appreciated :D

• Sponsors (?)

i have a 3M clear bra on mine. cleaner waxes are a must on clear bras. they absorb contaminants and the only way to get them out is a cleaner wax. for your car since its white, the contaminants might discolor it and make the bra start to yellow. it isnt the bra itself turning yellow, but the crap on the bra. also this would start to happen if you didnt wash the damn thing for like 6 months

also, make sure to inspect the borders of the bra every time you wash the car. dirt starts collecting and before long your bra is falling off :jester:

i just went at my bra with tooth picks with ample car wash soap for lube and dug out crap that started to seat in around the edges. worked fine

wasnt your car painted like a week ago?

i would be hesitant to get a clear bra installed before at least 1-3 months :-/ i would call the shop that painted your car and see what they say before getting it installed

wasnt your car painted like a week ago?

i would be hesitant to get a clear bra installed before at least 1-3 months :-/ i would call the shop that painted your car and see what they say before getting it installed

Car was painted 3 weeks ago.....and they said yesterday that I'm good to go on this. The issue was the car needs to be driven 150miles on the highway to San Diego where I'm moving in less than a week from now. And out here I know it would not make the trip unscathed. I knew it may be slightly slighty early to cover it and thought it would be the lesser of two evils. However when the shop said 100% go ahead it was an easy choice.

Thank you for the advice, all things that are common sense but you don't really think about until you F something up.

Do you have a rec on the cleaner wax? Do you follow then with a regualr wax for some shine? or not needed? I'd love to know your routine and the products you've found work the best. ie carnuba, synthetic, etc. Have you tried a sealant on it too? like klasse?

Thank you again.

i have not tried a sealant. but i have been completely happy with meguiars cleaner paste wax in the red tin and their carnuba in the black tin. i have really not gone balls out on a detail on my car ever (lack of funds up until now haha). but the bra is pretty low maintenance and takes wax rather well

waxing the bra is similar to a wash, go in the direction (around the edges) that will press the bra into the paint. sorry if that sounds confusing, i dont know a better way to describe the direction. going the wrong way will cause wax to build up around the edges

what brand is your bra? 3M?

ya...the bra is 3m. There's alot of guys around here with nice cars and I always see guys in pick ups and stuff doing them on site but it was only like $100 more to have this well known place do it. I feel really comftorable with them. It's all backed a warrantied..yada yada.

I think I'm getting a pretty good deal too $725 for everything I mentioned. Not too bad.

and I do know what your saying about how to apply. I see guys with the bra's on their really expensive cars and then you just see all the wax lines.

and I do know what your saying about how to apply. I see guys with the bra's on their really expensive cars and then you just see all the wax lines.
:rlaugh: yup!

you cant go wrong with 3M. if yours is the same material, its aerospace grade materials

having first hand experience of putting mine on myself, 700 bucks seems fair. i will be honest with you, depending on how large of a mask youre having applied to the rear of the car, a lot of that cost is allocated to labor costs.

its a tricky procedure. its not like applying a typical decal. the pieces are cut small and stretched into place with a concoction of dish soap and alcohol sprays

:rlaugh: yup!

you cant go wrong with 3M. if yours is the same material, its aerospace grade materials

having first hand experience of putting mine on myself, 700 bucks seems fair. i will be honest with you, depending on how large of a mask youre having applied to the rear of the car, a lot of that cost is allocated to labor costs.

its a tricky procedure. its not like applying a typical decal. the pieces are cut small and stretched into place with a concoction of dish soap and alcohol sprays

I had a very long strip applied to the back on the sides and underside. That saleen rear has alot of paint facing the ground if you know what I mean. A normal rear just has sides. So I told them I want that surface that is facing the ground tucking under the car by the exhaust done as well.

I just picked up the car too and it looks nice. I worthwhile investment for sure. They told me not to wash the car or do anything to it for 3 days. It will be hard not to mess with it and wax it but I guess I'll wait. And for the install I can only imagine. I can do tint ok...just ok..and I asked the guys if it was like that and he said that times 4 .... so I thought there is no way on the earth with all the contours I could get than technique down to cover the car in a reasonable time.

I had a very long strip applied to the back on the sides and underside. That saleen rear has alot of paint facing the ground if you know what I mean. A normal rear just has sides. So I told them I want that surface that is facing the ground tucking under the car by the exhaust done as well.

I just picked up the car too and it looks nice. I worthwhile investment for sure. They told me not to wash the car or do anything to it for 3 days. It will be hard not to mess with it and wax it but I guess I'll wait. And for the install I can only imagine. I can do tint ok...just ok..and I asked the guys if it was like that and he said that times 4 .... so I thought there is no way on the earth with all the contours I could get than technique down to cover the car in a reasonable time.

glad youre happy with the results! definitely an investment for sure!

did they mention to you how you would take it off down the road? thats something ive been wondering with mine

I have heard just to be careful around the edges but its just like any body line (door/hood crack) when waxing and stuff, just like Red said it can build up quickly if you arnt careful in those areas! Might ask the installers too when you are there what they use/recommend.

I was looking around on their shelves and have use all 3m products for waxing and cleaning.

And RedDaemon......I know you said you put it on yourself, but when you want to take that off FOR SURE take it to a shop. That way you have a finger to point at if you see paint coming up. Which is another reason I wanted a shop to do the install as well. I like having someone to point the finger at..... :nice: :nice: :nice: I always seem to have prblems:shrug:

What I'm planning on doing for the clear bra is Klasse Sealant. I've talked to enough people yesterday and today to feel good that it's the best way to go. I use klasse sealant as a base coat on every vehicle I have. Unlike wax one good application usually lasts me over a year...but I do it on a once a year basis....about 3 coats. Then you can wax as normal for extra shine every couple months or so. I just like the added protection from the sealant over wax. just my .02

ive been trying to purchase car detailing stuff for several years now but havent had the cash. best thing i could do in the mean time would be to read up on stuff. i like what i read about klasse products :nice:

klass is prob a route ill take as well once i start buying products. i have some paintwork that needs to be addressed first however. for one thing my clearcoat is separating (but not cracking...yet) from the base layer on my rear bumper :nonono:

dude that realllllllly sux about your paint. There is nothing I hate more than having to do paint work like what I just went through with the saleen kit. I don't know if I've ever had a good experience and gotten what I've payed for without additional problems and corrective measures. Even good shops don't always do the work that I expect. When I pay a good amount at a shop with a good rep I want "factory" finish. Plain and simple, even surfaces that can't be seen from standing like underside's of pieces and what not you can see when crawling around need to be perfect. It drives me nuts that people don't do work like they are working on their own vehicle. I think sooo many people just take what they are given and don't speak up that they think they can get away with that garbage. OR.... maybe i'm justing asking too much and too anal, expecting a factory finish. :shrug:

good luck when you decide to tackle that.....

oh man i tell you what... my whole body is hurting me,
i spent 10 hours last wednesday doing that all buy myself, started with a good hand wash.
i used dish washer soap to strip old wax off. i only hand wash & clay bar this car once YR,

i was too pooped to finish. so next week i'll re wash and lay a coat of polish then wax,

not the best method' but gets the job done.

IMO a clear bra is like a sofa cover. What's worse, the possibility of a rock chip or forever having a cover on the front of your car at all times? It's like covering your sofa forever just so you can keep it perfect for the next guy you sell it to while never fully enjoying it, pointless IMO.

Even if they are clear bras, you can still see the edges up close. It's bound to discolor, and the paint underneath is probably going to suffer over years. I'm not sure, but I highly doubt you can use a buffer, etc. on it. You'll also almost certainly end up with a line where the edge is when/if you take it off.

Just take care of your car, stay far back from people on the freeway, and the front will stay beautiful for years without the clear bra.

IMO a clear bra is like a sofa cover. What's worse, the possibility of a rock chip or forever having a cover on the front of your car at all times? It's like covering your sofa forever just so you can keep it perfect for the next guy you sell it to while never fully enjoying it, pointless IMO.
you must never have had your front bumper pitted from so much road rash you can see if from 20 feet away

Even if they are clear bras, you can still see the edges up close.
when you know where to look AND within a foot (depending on how good of eyesight you have. and so what? its so subtle it doesnt detract from anything. AND if someone is that close to my car theyre gunna have their ass whipped. even if its at a car show, this isnt one of them consourse special limited edition 1912 rare finds. its a effin run of the mill GT. theres NO reason to be that close unless you have some super awesome paint job. if thats the case you dont need a bra cuz youre filthy rich to get a new paint job every week.

It's bound to discolor
maybe but do you know something the manufacturers don't? cheap Walmart stuff probably does. I have more faith in my 3M product.

, and the paint underneath is probably going to suffer over years.
based on what? surely you dont put it on fresh paint which is why i had concern for the OP. once the gases escape from the paint layers theres no harm in it

I'm not sure, but I highly doubt you can use a buffer, etc. on it. You'll also almost certainly end up with a line where the edge is when/if you take it off.
you are the first to mention a buffer in this thread

Just take care of your car, stay far back from people on the freeway, and the front will stay beautiful for years without the clear bra.
thats so b.s. stop talking theory!!!!!!!

for the past 5.5 years I have been driving back and fourth from Poughkeepsie to Utica, NY for college. I have MANY MANY hours (3hrs each way) on the NYS Thruway with my car. IT IS UNAVOIDABLE YOU WILL GET ROAD RASH.

Thats the whole reason why we put clearbras on the car

you must never have had your front bumper pitted from so much road rash you can see if from 20 feet away

No, because I don't drive aggressively and ride people's asses. I've got 20 yer old paint on one of my cars with no road rash on the front. You'd have to be a serious jackass driver to have a front that's so trashed you could see it from 20 feet away.

RedDaemon said:
maybe but do you know something the manufacturers don't? cheap Walmart stuff probably does. I have more faith in my 3M product.

That's cool, 3M makes good stuff; I know a lot about the products 3M makes, being in the chemistry/chemical engineering field with 3M's headquarters in my home city...get the hint?:D

RedDaemon]you are the first to mention a buffer in this thread

Right, and the OP said the body shop said he could wax it like whatever. For a lot of people, that means buffers/polishes/sealants/etc.

RedDaemon said:
thats so b.s. stop talking theory!!!!!!!

Theory? Hardly, I have years of experience with cars without ****ed up front ends telling me otherwise. It's not hard not to be that douchebag Stang owner riding everyone's ass in traffic, who neglects their car. Then again, one dude said he washes/clays his car by hand only once a year so there you go.

RedDaemon said:
for the past 5.5 years I have been driving back and fourth from Poughkeepsie to Utica, NY for college. I have MANY MANY hours (3hrs each way) on the NYS Thruway with my car. IT IS UNAVOIDABLE YOU WILL GET ROAD RASH.

No it isn't. And for $700+, you could just repaint the bumper on your "run of the mill GT" without some "super awesome paint job". If it's just a run of the mill GT, wouldn't it be better off to just enjoy it and then spend $700 repainting the bumper and enjoying it again?

RedDaemon said:
Thats the whole reason why we put clearbras on the car

And the world was in pain before them with every car on the road having trashed noses, right?:rolleyes:

Take a chill pill. All I said was they are a bit like sofa covers, because they are. Why stop there? Why not keep the plastic on the seats and the steering wheel? The steering wheel will turn black and the seats will get stains and hundreds of farts, so may as well put plastic on those too to keep that from happening. If you like it, fine, as for me, I'll just stay 500 meters back from people on the freeway and save the $700 and extra hassle that a clear bra brings.

It's really not hard to take care of a car. Keep it washed/waxed, and stay off people's asses.