car is overheating and smelling like old people

will_95gt

Jul 27, 2004
Austin, TX
yeah so today was a scortcher.... i'm driving to work bumper to bumper trafic and i stop at the store... now as i was driving the car it seemed fine and the engine wasn't too overly hot (circumstanced in concideration) but as i had the car at idle while waiting for my friend to get out of the store i hear a squeeking noise and some klunky noises and also start to smell burnging...and sence its windy it was hard to tell but there was also some smoke.

i popped the hood only to find a little more smoke and some stink :-(((

i thought maybe the belst were rubbing...thats kind of what it smelt like.

I have a cracked head...i know, don't tell me i'm an idiot....i just don't have the money to fix it... anyway i've been in worse conditions before and the car still has never overheated.

So tonight i drove it home a couple hours later and its dark outside and not near as hot and the car seemd to have ran fine... but after i parked it i let it sit at idle for a while and it seems like if i keep it above 1000 rpms its ok but once it drops below a grand the squeeky noise sporadically comes as does the smoke and bad smell....

WHATS GOING ON

Also, in an (seemingly) unrelated story, my steering wheel is jacked. THe power steering still works cuz it only takes so many rotations to make the turn but its really sticky steering and doesn't return to center at all....

related?? idk

THanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

bill302 said:
remove belt and turn the waterpump pulley and power steering pulley post results the bearings might be beginning to seize post results....

ok...i get the "remove belt" part... but u mean turn the waterpump pulley and power steering pulley off? beacuse i don't understand what u mean when u say "turn it post results"

sorry i'm retarded :bang:

there is a tensioner under the alternator look at the tensioner toward the bottom of the tensioner theres a square hole insert a ratchet into this hloe and push down that will relieve the pressure off the belt enable you to remove the belt and to reinstall you should have a belt diagram under the hood on the radiator cover...

ok i loosend it and was able to spin the top middle and top right but couldn't reach the others without burning myself lol...

i don't want to take it all the way off tonight cuz i doubt i'd get it back on but tomarrow after work i'll see what i can do... if i Do take it off and they all spin freely i'll probably end up taking it to ford

i have breaking news....

I just started the car and did mor diagnostics... it only stutters and putts around like that at idle when the AC is on....

SOOO which one of those little spinny things is for the AC?

You're right - as long as the AC clutch isnt starting to drag, you should be able to leave the AC off and be fine.

Justin's method is nice if you think it might start to lock up.

Good luck.

ah ok cool, well i suppose thats what i'll do untill i can afford to get it fixed... i also think i'm going to get a shorter belt anyways, for a winter configuration...

how much added power is derived from the ac compressor bypass??

also i was able to remove the belt today and the AC compressor seems to spin freely when the car is off... so i guess its just when in use that it causes problems...

oh yeah, and do y'all have any insite as to why my steering wheel is getting stuck mid-turn?? its kind of dangerous lol

A sticky steering wheel sounds gross. :rlaugh:

Did you spin the PS pulley while you had the belt off? A slipping belt or seizing PS pump can lead to issues like you're having (with the 'stickyness'). A lack of return to center can be line pressure or alignment. How's the fluid level?

You can spin the AC compressor pulley with the belt off and feel how little power it takes to spin it (with the clutch disengaged). I doubt there'd be any way of noticing the difference.

MHO. Good luck.

yeah they both spin equally easy... and fluid level is fine. I was thinking maybe i had to get it flushed or something.

So that means u think its either line pressure or allignement? How can i diagnose which is the problem?