Car is VERY hard to crank sometimes.

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
I think I know why. My voltometer runs VERY low when at idle (like on the N). I know my underdrives are contributing to this, and Ive been told that my alt MAY be bad but i dont think it is. But sometimes after driving for a long time with the A/C on, I get home, cut off my car, and go inside. The next morning I go out to go to work and my car turn over a good 10 times before it starts. It also did this at work the other day. Im thinking the alt isnt charging the batt enough to start the car when i turn it off with the A/C running. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I might:

Pull codes.

Install a voltmeter in the car to see what gives. If you dont want a permanent gauge, you can hook up your DVM for a couple days and let it sit on the console.

If you think the prolonged cranking is a fuel issue, you can cycle the key a few times (letting the pump prime till it stops each time) before ever trying to actually start the car for the first time. THis lets pressure build. A FP gauge is a little more telling, but not everyone has one.

Good luck.

The starter gets it's ground from the bellhousing and sometimes if the bell has been painted, or if there is a crud build-up, it causes that. What I'd do a) pull the starter and clean the bellhousing and starter face and connection and starter wire, or b) just run a thick wire fro the starter case to a good clean ground. Could also be oxidation on the battery posts - may look OK but a thin coating of oxide on the connectros will cause that - the starter draws a lot of amps - I'd clean the battery terminals and cables.

Don

I have the exact same problem, and my charging is the exact way with my underdrives too.
The battery gauge usually reads a 1/4 of the way during idleing, and I never thought this contributed to the hard cold starts but I guess its very possible. It's only on a cold start though, if I have everything running and kill the car I can start it easily though, its only in the morning it is a bitch to start.

Synned said:
I have the exact same problem, and my charging is the exact way with my underdrives too.
The battery gauge usually reads a 1/4 of the way during idleing, and I never thought this contributed to the hard cold starts but I guess its very possible. It's only on a cold start though, if I have everything running and kill the car I can start it easily though, its only in the morning it is a bitch to start.
Same here, but its so hot down here I dont think I ever have a cold start. lol

Joe and TGGT, that isnt normal. I wonder if your IAC's arent working. The cold start up enrichment is for the motor and not really having to do with the ambient temps. In 90* temperatures, you should have almost as much enrichment as you do in 40* temps (cold start-up).

The idle should be at ~1200-1500 RPM when first started (cold motor). WIthin 10-30 seconds, it should settle down to 900 RPM ish, and within a couple minutes, down to 700 RPM ish. If the base idle has been raised (for mods, etc), said values can shift up or change a little bit.

Good luck.