car just shuts off!!

lately my car has just been shutting off out of the blue...at first it would crank right over in the first time but now it takes more than that...today it turned off and wouldnt start for 10 mins...could it be the dreaded stator/pip that ive been hearing about???? is it hard to change???

• Sponsors (?)

WHen it wont start, check for spark and injector pulsing. That will help a lot (grabbing codes might give a clue too).

Good luck.

my brother had the same problem everyone thought it was the starter turned out just be a bad battery connection belive it or not, forget it it was at the battery or it coulda been the ground. anyways what im getting at is check all your connections, wiggle them and see if it helps, battery to alt, alt to starter, ground etc.

Same thing happened to me my car would die when drving sometiems it was the wire that goes from the battery to that little black box thing (wtf is that anyways just a little ground?). Slide the cover off and mine just had too much stress and started to slide out of the connection.

I'm going through the same thing right now. Unfortunatly it only happens while on the road (not nesecaryly driving) so it's hard to diagnoise. I just spent 10/15 minutes trying to make it shut off and no dice. I'm getting no codes as of yet and I'm pretty sure the pip is at fault. I'm just getting a new dizzy, many people have broken there old ones trying to remove the gear from the shaft.

check your coil and cap/rotor. Mine did the same dang thing and thats what it ended up being, but the car ran funny off and on before it died. That sensor sucks to change out, but I did it to mine, you just need a puller of some sort in order to get it out but be carefull!

ttt...the only code that i pulled was code number 212 which is loss of ignition diagnostic monitor signal/SPOUT circuit grounded......i already swtich my dynamod tfi module to the stock one thinking it would be that but no luck...if it was the PIP, which is code 211, obviously it would throw that code right? or can the PIP be at fault without throwing any codes? ohh yeah, i gave it a full tune up (cap n rotor, plugs, fuel filter, pvc valve,etc.) the day before the car started leaving stranded

eather tfi module or stator most likely. ill post some detailed instructions on component checks to do later after work if no one else gives u the info by then

Fuel pump will do this too. Can you hear the fuel pump running when it dies? It should run for a few seconds and shut off. If it keeps running, then it's not building pressure, and is probably the problem. Otherwise, look elsewhere...

i remember cleaning out some melted plastic once out of the bottom of the distributor...i took off the cap n rotor...unscrewed a couple of parts to get to the bottom and cleaned it out...is the pip located there? i remmeber seeing like a small harness cable wreapped in black tape of somesort...is that the pip???

i ran the car a bit today and the sob didint turn off neither did it throw any codes.... i ran the test again while the car was off and it gave me 212 again (loss of iginiton diagnostic monitor signal/SPOUT circuit grounded).....i know many point to the pip but the pip fault code is 211, wouldnt it throw that code if there was something wrong with the stator???