Electrical Car Keeps Stalling...can You Please Help?

InMyPrimeSVT

Founding Member
Jul 31, 2001
Cincinnati

Could you guys please help me? I'm a little pissed as my Cobra keeps stalling. I recently added March under drive pullies as well as Wazee's pulleys. I have a brand new powermaster 130a alternator.

Last week, the car would start, but the starter would keep clicking. Took the battery in (it's 5 months old), and they charged it up as it was low.

I added a brand new optima battery and some speaker equipment in the car. A professional installed put it all in. I drove it about 30 miles, and as it comes off the highway, the radio turns off, and then the car stalls as I pull it in.

It won't start back up, but it jumps. I drive it home and on the highway and the speedo, tach, radio is not running. The car stalls going 80mph. I tow it home. It starts on a jump again.

Any thoughts as to what's up? I would greatly appreciated it.

• Sponsors (?)

Could you guys please help me? I'm a little pissed as my Cobra keeps stalling. I recently added March under drive pullies as well as Wazee's pulleys. I have a brand new powermaster 130a alternator.
Last week, the car would start, but the starter would keep clicking. Took the battery in (it's 5 months old), and they charged it up as it was low.
I added a brand new optima battery and some speaker equipment in the car. A professional installed put it all in. I drove it about 30 miles, and as it comes off the highway, the radio turns off, and then the car stalls as I pull it in.
It won't start back up, but it jumps. I drive it home and on the highway and the speedo, tach, radio is not running. The car stalls going 80mph. I tow it home. It starts on a jump again.
Any thoughts as to what's up? I would greatly appreciated it.

I've heard of charging issues with underdrive pulleys, but nothing specific about the March pulleys. You've also added equipment that pulls more power from the electrical system. Have you reached a point where the alternator is unable to charge the battery when you're running? I don't know, but it would be something I would check.

I personally don't like Autozone's tester, it is a computerized GOOD/BAD tester. It doesn't really tell you why your alternator is bad or anything. Not to mention I've had Autozone tell me an alt was bad and then have it test good at a real alt/starter shop! lol

Advance has a good tester the last time I checked. It's good old fashioned needle sweeps, rocker switches and lights!

Oh and for the op's issue, I'd bet money on a grounding issue.

Ugh...this is so annoying. So the multimeter says the battery is fine. 12.7V when charged. It stays there when the car is left off. Then if I start it and run it, the battery gradually decreases and then the car shuts off. If I put the multimeter with the negative on the battery post and the positive at the alternator positive, the alternator says 9V. When I called PA-Performance, they say that there is some sort of resistance occurring and that it is NOT the alternator. Since the Vortech goes on next week in the shop, I'm basically towing the car in and hopefully they can figure it out. Clearly I'm not smart enough.

Chrome alternators are bad news all around, best saved for trailer queens. But what you can do is simply take the alt off and grind the chrome off the mounting tabs where the alt touches the brackets. Speaking of brackets, are they powdercoated?