Car no start..NEED HELP!!

DMAN302

My mom says thanks for the pearl necklace.
Nov 8, 2003
windsor, Canada
Yesterday had to jump car to get started..shut it off and would not restart. So I went to the auto store bought new battery which was due, replaced starter selenoid (spelling?), new positive cable, new negative cable, new starter selenoid to starter cable. All of these were well in need of replacing so I didn't mind putting out cash. Now problem is this I can hear the starter engage with a solid click and I can hear it try to trun but almost sounds like its binding..then try ignition again and same click, then it may turn a bit, or start. The click is not the selenoid, but is comming from the starter itself. The battery again is 2-3 HOURS OLD and checks out as good. My stock gauge only shows less than half, but again batter is good so I think gauge is squirrly. Please help with ideas if possible!!

• Sponsors (?)

same difficult to start problem with jumping..multiple ignition tries will get starter to turn but is hit or miss..even when starter engages and does kick over it's only in short bursts.

DMAN302 said:
same difficult to start problem with jumping..multiple ignition tries will get starter to turn but is hit or miss..even when starter engages and does kick over it's only in short bursts.

Yeah man, I say go with a new starter. Anyone else have any ideas?

Yeah I guess starter should be the problem..anyone else with info I'd still be glad to hear it..also after looking back at my thread..perhapse someone could help me out with my spelling. lol

Does all the rest of the electrical system in the car work ok? Do you hear the fuel pump prime, radio comes on, etc? Like everyone else, I agree, if everything is correctly hooked up, including the ground (V important, btw) it is most likely the starter.

I agree on the starter. Two bolts and it's off. Take it up to the local auto parts store and let them bench test it. Looks like you have replaced most everything else. Also make sure that your grounds are good. I had a similar sounding problem and after repalcing everything it was a bad starter just screwing with me. Sometimes it would start and the worst possible times it woudn't do anything but click.

ya im drivin a 89 tempo right now..thats doin the same thing..starts when it feels like it..im pretty sure its the starter..sometimes if you give the starter a good whack theyll work again..maybe for a while maybe not..i just bomb start it..cause the stang will be back in a couple weeks
good luck with that tho..pretty sure its your starter